Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

A New Adventure

Sail Date: August 01, 2007

I've been on about 30 cruises (first on NCL) and I look at it that as long as the good points outweigh the bad points, you can have a great time. I had a great time. The food was good in any of the restaurants you could get into, the activities were numerous so you could always have something to do and the entertainment was very good. One of my hot buttons is having rules and then not enforcing them. The brochures and signs outside of all restaurants (not the buffet) state that a collared shirt is required and no shorts are allowed in the restaurants at 5:30PM. Wrong, it was not enforced. You get dressed up and the guy next to you at dinner in wearing a t-shirt, shorts and a baseball cap. Definitely takes away from the mood.

Pros: The Friendliness of the Staff

Cons: Freestyle Dining

Recommends Norwegian Dawn? Yes!

They had a very wide varity of activities during the day, so if you didn't have fun, it was your fault. The entertainment was very good but, they could get rid of the "Bollywood" show. Except for the gymnastics in it, it was poor.
The ship was very well maintained. My one problem, which has nothing to do with the cleaniness or the decor, was with the Stardust Theater (main show room). They crammed in 1,000 seats into a room that should only have 500. They served drinks but you had no place to put them. If you are one who likes to cross your legs, forget it.
Food in those restauarant I got into, was great. The problem is with the reservation system. First, calling didn't work because the line was either busy or the answering system was full. Also, you couldn't make reservation for the same day unless you wanted to eat at 5:30PM or after 9:30PM. So, you would have to make them for the next day but again, if you didn't make it by 8:30AM, you wound up with the very early or very late times. And the number in your party made no difference. There was only 2 of us. The other bad part of this is that because you made the reservation for the next day, you had no idea what activities it would conflict with. I had to skip numerous actitivites that I wanted to go to because my dinner reservation conflicted.
The balcony statement was outstanding.
I can't say that anyone went "above and beyond" but overall they were very friendly and helpful.