Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review to Bermuda

Good Itinerary; Poorly Designed Ship

Sail Date: August 02, 2015

For those who don't like cruises because the short time in port prevents learning about a place, this one is good.  Two and a half days in Bermuda gives plenty of time to see everything.  Plus, the days at sea provide time to not have to worry about anything.  NCL also accommodates solo travelers with daily meet-ups and studio cabins.

But, if you are looking for a high-class or well-designed ship, this is not it.  There are too many people on the ship, and you notice it.  The chairs are always full, there are crowds and lines at activities, shows, and restaurants, and it takes forever to get an elevator.  Additionally, the service, shows, and food is not of a top quality.  Maybe NCL's smaller ships are better, but I certainly would not recommend their larger ones.  And all of the games cost extra money.

The three free dining rooms use the same menu, so it is really one dining room in three places... which you need because there are always lines to get in. The menus are not great, and the quality is eh.
There are some really nice crew members - the shore excursions desk is very helpful and made good suggestions. But otherwise I was not impressed. Especially in the dining rooms - it was difficult to communicate and very slow.
It was ok - but lacked that special something.
Usually couldn't find a seat - and things were held in places that were not set up for large events.
The Aquarium and Caves Tour and Wild West Kayak (not sure why it is called that) are both good - great tour guides, very informative.
While the studio cabins were totally adequate and appreciated, the ship was not designed well. There are choke points throughout due to too many passengers. Not enough elevators or ability to have large shows.
I was happy with it. I have a few small design tweaks I would make (and I would add a tissue box and lotions). The service in cleaning and fixing was not good, but the room itself was fine. Difficult to find at first since it is in a hidden inside passage way, but once I found it we were good.

If you get a sailing when the ship is only half full and can get a great price, then it'd probably be good. But at full capacity, not recommended. Holland America is still the best; RCCL and Celebrity are solid choices.