MSC Musica Cruise Review to Europe - Mediterranean

Contributor Level: Third Mate

Wouldn't bother with MSC again

Sail Date: July 08, 2012

There are too many cruise lines on the market for me to ever want to experience MSC again. I found the majority of the staff to be discontent with their jobs and it was pretty obvious. They really could use a technical upgrade to cut down on all of the announcements they make in so many different languages as I was probably woken up from my siesta at least four times by the ding dong sound of an upcoming announcement. I found the front desk staff to be quite annoying but I tried to not let it get to me. Many people on the ship complained about a multitude of problems they were having and although I also experienced many things wrong I followed through and made sure they were corrected and moved on. It does get tiring though. One of the best things I purchased was an all inclusive drink package which I heard of through Cruise Critic and which was an invaluable savings. That also needed some explaining to the staff most of whom had never heard of this package before.
This was my fourth cruise and my first where I had a balcony room and I would never cruise without a balcony room again. It was a fantastic addition.

Pros: I liked the ports we went to.

Cons: All of the announcements on the ship in 8 different languages.

Recommends MSC Musica? No.

I encountered zero toilet paper in 80% of the washrooms that I went into on the ship....this was bizarre to me.
Another weird thing was the color of the water in the swimming pool by the end of the day. It would be grey.....scary. I stayed out of it.
The restaurant was fantastic with great service and delicious food for the most part. The buffet on the other hand was consistently horrible. There were only these two choices for places to eat on the ship unless you wanted to pay to dine.
Our stateroom was average. We had requested two beds as I was travelling with my teenage son and the beds were made up as one bed when we checked in. This took about six hours to fix. Also everything was very dated. The toilet seat was not attached properly\, I was glad neither of us were disabled or heavy people. Also the shower curtains were continuously following off their track.
I didn't see any examples of going over and above unfortunately. In fact when we were waiting to get back on a bus from Mykonos to get back to the cruise ship there was a long line up and two cruise staff butted in front of us to get on the bus. If you were a squeaky wheel\, which I was\, then you would be okay on this ship but if you are one of those people that doesn't try to get things corrected you would be very unhappy very quickly.
There was a kids club for my 14 year old but it wasn't open on a regular basis and he wasn't too impressed.