MSC Lirica Cruise Review to Caribbean - Southern

Cruise with MSC Lirica Deep Caribbean

Sail Date: March 01, 2009

Room Type: Suite

The ship itself was immaculately clean and beautiful. The lower level staff were as polite and respectful as anyone could expect. The upper management were rude and disrespectful to the majority of American passengers. The lady in charge of the fitness center was remarkably rude and stared at larger guests with disgust. The matrad's which greeted guests at the finer restaurants treated me as a princess, but disregarded my mother and left her at the door when seating me. This went on for several days until I avoided them at all costs. The rudest of the staff were all Italian. The best of the staff were from the Dominican Republic and around the world and they treated all of the holiday vacationers with the highest of respect and Roberto even took time to dance with me each evening so that I would not be left without a dancing partner as I was traveling with my mother. The nurse and doctor were very cordial when I broke my finger and were willing to answer all of my questions without making me feel like I was taking up their time unnecessarily. The bands were ok for the most part. The mariachi band was very good, but way too loud. Pools were small. The wait staff and room staff were amazing and so super polite to us that we went and paid their tips directly to ensure they were treated fairly. I had to go to the accounting desk and request that specific crew members not receive tips as they were rude and deserved nothing. This required paperwork to accomplish my intentions.

Pros: Entertainment Staff

Cons: Rude greeters at restaurants and fitness center

Recommends MSC Lirica? No.

Management staff were rude and disrespectful. In general most passengers I spoke to had the feeling that our questions were a bother to the staff and they did not care to speak a different language other than Italian. Italian speaking passengers were given preference over and over again.
Greeters were extremely rude to many of the patrons. Wait staff were exceptional. Food was ok, but their Maryland Crab Cakes are nothing like we have here in Baltimore, MD. Their chef needs to brush up on his homework before offering a regional delicacy and adopting the name. Deserts were less than average. Looked great, but tasted like what we get at Friendly's
I had a balcony suite and it was wonderful. The queen bed was split to 2 twins for us the first night and plenty of closet room was provided for. The 3 fellas that kept it up were on top of every little detail.
Personally, I enjoyed all the activities with the entertainment team the most. the bands were great, however I was not keen on all the different types of music played.
All common areas were kept super clean. A full staff of polishers worked 24/7 to keep all the brass polished and without finger prints. This was particularly difficult near the pool decks.