Monarch of the Seas (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Mexico

Good First Cruise

Sail Date: April 14, 2008

We've been on a lot of cruises, and our standards may be getting a little high - but this was an older ship and some areas showed wear and tear. There weren't any of the fun features on board, except for the rock climbing wall.
So yes, we reommend this ship for first or second time cruisers, but not if you've been on more than 2.

Pros: We booked this to get my mom-in-law to try a cruise. It was her first and she loved it.

Recommends Monarch of the Seas (RETIRED)? Yes!

I liked the size of the ship, but never got used to the layout - this is probably due to it only being a five day cruise. The chairs in the Sound of Music lounge are awful. On the chairs where the bottoms flip up, the stops are so worn out that the front of the bottom cushion is way lower than the back of the bottom cushion, so it seems that you are constantly in danger of sliding off the seat. Such a little thing to fix, it seems a shame they haven't taken care of it. The carpet by the pool areas is also showing its age. I also hate the "flushless" urinals - they stink. Other than that, the ship was well maintained and very clean.
We had the Main Seating, and that was nice. Tablemates were great. The food was good, but nothing exceptional. Presentation was better, but generally the food reminded me of the kind of food you'd get at a convention or a nice company cafeteria. Also, the bacon was terrible - it was cooked correctly, it just had the oddest taste. (And I really love bacon...)
Let me start out by stating that we typically spend very little time in our stateroom, so the Stateroom Quality is not a huge concern for us. However, the stateroom seemed smaller than other ships we'd been on, and there was no place to store any toilet articles in the bathroom? Not even a shelf. The room was very clean and well maintained.
In house staff entertainment was above average in the lounge. Guest singer was very good, but comedian was below average - both his family show and adult show were sub par. Just not that funny.
Very polite, very attentive, and very friendly - couldn't ask for more
Ensenada, Mexico
Typical Mexican tourist shopping port. Prices were not exceptional. Cigar shops are ridiculously overpriced.
Catalina Island, California
I love to rent the golf carts and drive around the island. But there was a whole section closed off, so unless this is re-opened next time I visit, I would skip it.
Don't Miss: shopping
San Diego, California
Visited the San Diego Zoo for the very first time in my life. Expectations were pretty high, and this zoo failed to meet them. Nice layout, hilly and windy paths. Not enough animails, though!!