Carnival Mardi Gras

Mardi Gras Cruise Review

Cruises: 7+ cruises

Overall rating:

Mardi Gras

7 Night Western Caribbean (Port Canaveral Roundtrip)

Sail date: November 13, 2021

Ship: Mardi Gras

Cabin type: Balcony

Cabin number: 10301

Traveled as: Family (older children)

Review summary

Enjoyed new ship with amazing food. The Serenity area is much improved with more seating options and even a pool. The spa was a disappointment because they have eliminated the free sauna and only offer a Co-Ed steam room and nothing else for free. The casino slot game options were disappointing. There video poker did not offer the correct odds unless playing 10 coins. First time I have ever seen video poker that did not pay 4,000 coins on 5 coins. The video keno odds were also horrible.

Embarkation

Parking is connected to terminal 3 so you don’t need to stand in sun or rain. My husband requires a wheelchair so it was relatively fast and easy. I did see very long lines winding around terminal that were not moving very fast. I did like that they were checking reservation times and sorting people accordingly.

Ship experiences

There are more than 22 places to eat and most are free. The food was fantastic and there are options for all tastes. Most restaurants are open for breakfast lunch and dinner so nothing gets crowded. For example we had breakfast at Cucina the Italian restaurant, Big Chicken, the buffet, the main dining room, lido buffet and Emeril’s. We loved being able to use Carnival app to make reservations for all our meals. The Your Time Dining makes it very easy.

Bonsai Teppanyaki

$$ we thoroughly enjoyed the experience and the food. Everyone at our 10 person table opted for the fried rice which was very tasty. Everyone was given a few shrimp as an appetizer along with a soup and salad. The main options were shrimp, lobster, filet mignon, & chicken or a combo. The filet cut like butter and the shrimp and lobster were both fresh and flavorful. The portions are huge. The desert bento box had interesting small bites and I enjoyed them all.

Palm Restaurant

Love that the tables are spaced farther apart. The food was very good on the first formal night. The prime rib was perfectly cooked and seasoned. The lobster was fresh and flavorful but small.

BlueIguana Cantina

My husband enjoyed his breakfast burrito with scrambled eggs, toppings and especially the crispy fried potatoes.

Chibang!

Lunch- we all had pick your own burrito bowls. The food freshness and quality was excellent. They serve Chinese fried noodles with a sweet and sour sauce and a tomato salsa with tortilla chips as an appetizer and both were good. I enjoyed the flan and my husband enjoyed the churros.

JavaBlue Cafe

They need to figure out a better way to serve the guests more efficiently. The lines were 30 minutes in the morning.

Guy's Burger Joint

I don’t know if they changed something or if it was my imagination but it wasn’t quite as good as in the past on other ships.

Piazza Piani

This is a great upgrade to the usual deli options on the other ships. 12 sandwiches to choose from and they allow minor alterations. My husband had the meatball multiple times and I loved the eggplant and my daughters favorite was the tuna fish. The line moves very fast since they are pre made and they hear them when ordered.

Guy's Pig & Anchor Smokehouse / Brewhouse

Tried it for lunch and it was very disappointing. Meat was over seasoned and salty and not in a good way. The sides were nothing special. We had the same on the Horizon and it was similar so we won’t be trying it again.

Emeril’s Bistro 1396

$5 small plates for breakfast. The shrimp and grits were perfect. The shrimp and grits does have a little kick and and a topping of sausage pieces. My daughter liked the bananas foster crepes but it’s definitely more of a dessert than a breakfast. My husband had the breakfast po-boy and it has egg, cheese, bacon and sausage. The menu says bacon or sausage but they told us it was a misprint.

Cucina del Capitano

Highly recommend for every meal option. Embarkation day we had lunch and the bruschetta was the best I have ever had. The pasta bowls are huge even if you order the half. For breakfast they serve the MDR options. The caramelized banana french toast was perfect and the plain coffee was the best on the ship. For dinner which we had 3 times we loved the Chef specialty captains favorite pistachio pasta, veal, eggplant and beef. The staff was amazing.

Bonsai Sushi

$ Three of us each ordered a few things to share. The only option that was less than ideal was a noodle bowl with beef because the red broth was lacking flavor. The teriyaki beef at the bottom of the menu is like a filet mignon- it was fantastic.

Big Chicken by Shaq

The breakfast fried chicken biscuit is very sweet because it’s dipped in a honey sauce and also has a slathering of honey butter. My daughter loved it. My husband loved the sausage egg and cheese biscuit. There were never any lines and was a fast and easy option. The Most Dominant Ever (MDE) basic sandwich was very good but not in the class as Popeye’s.

The way everything is spread out made the common areas of the ship feel spacious and relatively empty even though I know it was at about 80% capacity. Not forcing everyone into one area at any one time was a masterful design. The balcony room width and the bathroom size is a crime and very disappointing. Our particular balcony room 10301 had a huge balcony that looked to be 1/3 larger than the others above us because it had 3 panels and they had 2. The location of 10301 was also good.

Balcony cabin 10301 was conveniently located to elevators and most venues. The width of the cabin is surprisingly and alarmingly narrow. The bathroom shower upgrade to glass enclosed was outstanding but the smaller bathroom size is a sin. I think I would prefer the old size with the shower curtain to the new glass enclosed shower. Our balcony was larger that others and I would recommend this cabin if you enjoy sitting on the balcony.

Ship tip

You need good walking shoes and try to visit as many of the restaurants as possible because they are amazing.

Ports of call

Mahogany Bay, Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras

I found the beach area overpacked with chairs and clamshells. The Mardi Gras and the Pride were both in port. That is way too many people at one time. They need to eliminate chairs and clamshells so you can sit on beach and actually see beach and ocean.

Port Canaveral, Florida

Disembarkation

Platinum guests were in theatre. Most platinum guests are older and have mobility issues. They were struggling with stairs and a lady fell. It also was not conducive to effectively transporting all the passengers that needed wheelchairs. The luggage pickup route becomes a traffic jam because you have to double back to exit in the center as people are still entering.