Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review to Bermuda

Third Mate

It Wasn't Worth It

Sail Date: September 25, 2015

Cabin: 714

While I understand cruise lines are not responsible for the weather, if the whole trip is going to be a wash out, perhaps they should cancel. Reportedly 90 people flew home from Bermuda after days of 30 foots waves, sea sickness, a rolling ship and wet weather. No one pays for a cruise to spend the days confined inside. I really worried about the elderly and infirm people.  All our shore excursions were canceled.

Weather aside, I was not impressed. I though Royal Caribbean is supposed to be a step up but I prefer Carnival and Norwegian. While my stateroom was roomy and had excellent storage, the furnishings were shabby. My cabinets banged all night long when the ship rocked.

The ship is dated in technology and communications were very poor. There is no ship network. No one could understand the Captain's announcements. Supposedly he wanted to leave Bermuda an hour early, but the sign at the disembarkation point did not reflect this change.

I found the food mediocre and the choices unimaginative. Its all heavy and traditional. I prefer Norwegians eat whenever plan. And no one needs 2 formal nights anymore. It is a dated custom that is only half embraced anyway. I did not think the shows were very good; the aerial show was exciting, but I wasn't impressed by the singing and dancing talent.

RC needs a wine club like Carnival and Norwegian have. I like being able to pick out bottles for the trip that will be accessible whenever and wherever we want them.

Highlights of the cruise were our waiter, Emil, and our steward, Evangeline.  The head waiters (guys in red coats) seemed to provide no value and just stressed out the waiters. The Solarium helped me still feel like I was on vacation despite the inclement weather.

I won't sail RC again

Cabin was roomy but shabby. It is the very first cabin in front so you notice the rolls and rough seas more. I was bumped into the air in bed and slammed back down. The cabinets banged. The TV is dated and not as useful as touch screen systems. The balcony was reasonably roomy. I had a large balcony room and I don't know if that meant large balcony or large room. We were able to host get together with 2 others comfortably.

I did not like the Windjammer food at all. I liked the Solarium since I could feel like I was outside in the rain and the food was a bit lighter.