Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review to Europe - Mediterranean

A classics-lovers dream

Sail Date: July 02, 2012

This was my third cruise and by far the best. The ship was large and there were many different areas and activities--a fitness center, an outdoor track, a rock climbing wall, though the pools did leave something to be desired. The ship was clean and the crew was very friendly.
As for food--the main dining room staff was terrific and incredibly accommodating. I have certain dietary restrictions (gluten) and I was excited to see that the menu marked which items were gluten-free, but this turned out to be not always correct. So if you have lactose/gluten issues, just make sure to ask your waiter and I'm sure they'll help you out. The buffet was also good and I was able to ask the staff there questions about the food. When those were closed, the ship had a cafe with satisfactory food options. Otherwise, all food had to be paid for.
The reason I chose this cruise was due to its ports-of-call. As a classicist, I was eager for stops in Athens, Ephesus (port is called Kusadasi), and Mykonos (from which a ferry can be taken to Delos). It was great to go to these places and I took the ship's organized excursion at Ephesus which was pretty good. The other ports were also excellent--especially Santorini. All the stops were unforgettable experiences (except Bodrum, which was so-so).

Pros: ports of call

Cons: allergy markings

Recommends Grandeur of the Seas? Yes!

very clean!
The markings of gluten-free were NOT reliable\, but the staff (Chandra and Milan) were very competent at finding things for me. Also\, it would have been nice to have some spicier food
Excellent amount of storage space
My stateroom attendant kept my room great and personally helped look for an item which was lost in the laundry