Empress of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Contributor Level: Second Mate

Western Carribbean
Sail Date: June 03, 2017
Ship: Empress of the Seas

i rated this cruise "good" because I was celebrating my birthday & was not going to let anything prevent me from having a good time. However, there are some things that need to be addressed by RCCL if they want to keep people coming back, especially now that they are doing trips to Cuba. This ship was at one time a real beauty but has been neglected far too long. All the furniture needs to be replaced, cabins were in disrepair. Some had A/C some didn't, plumbing issues were prevalent, railing in Boleros bar was actually shaky. The selection of food in the Windjammer was very good but always cold & inedible (by many, not all as some people seemed not to care). There were always cold cuts & salad to be had so it wasn't a total loss. After 48 cruises I really do have a concept of what things could be so am hoping RCCL will take a good look at these issues. I don't know how they can spend billions of $ on new ships and not come up with a solution as to how to keep the food HOT.

Now for the good things. The staff was wonderful, entertainment was good, activities to keep things fun, was great. My waiters (Sydney & Thommy @ table 145) were excellent & caring and the passengers were the best I have come across in a long time. If some parents read this, I want to say kudos to you all. The children were the best behaved & polite I have EVER come across in all my cruises.

I feel if these issues can be fixed the Empress will become a sought after ship for all to enjoy.

As stated in my review, Windjammer food needs something more to keep food hot

Lots of fun games & lessons to keep us happy

The entertainment was very enjoyable especially our Cruise Director & his cohorts

N/A as I did not have any on board.

My waiters Sydney & Thommy @ Table 145 were super. Efficient & always going the extra mile to make things nice

As stated, everything needs to be changed. There is only so much you can do to keep things clean. After a while it gets threadbare & dangerous.

I did not put a "mad" face on this because there is just so much anyone can do to make an old cabin into a new one. My steward did the best she could however and I always came back to a spotless & primped cabin. I hope one day she gets to work on a newer ship.

Check out whether she has been refurbished before you go.

Have been here many times but it is a great place that has many diversified activities besides going to Senor Frogs