Empress of the Seas (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Bermuda

Best Kids Program on the Ocean

Sail Date: May 01, 2007

Traveled As: Family w/young children

I almost did not book on this ship due to some negative comments, but I know from experience that often the only people who leave comments are unhappy customers. The happy ones do not bother!! I found all the negative comments to be pretty much groundless. The ship was totally clean and the service spectacular. It may be an older ship, but all the public areas are spotless and have a charm all there own. The menu was fabulous in the Carmen Dining Room and even the Windjammer Cafe had something for everyone. The decor was not as spectacular as some, but the Centrum was still fun with the waterfall above you!! For an older mom with both college age kids and small ones ( I bought a three year old foster child), I appreciated Adventure Ocean and can't give the staff, program and the extended hours enough kudos. They made my trip as I don't get much of a break at home. We had visited Bermuda and loved coming back with a daughter who had not seen it before.

All in all a wonderful vacation and a highly recommended venue!!

Pros: The staff, activities and extended hours of kids program. The fantastic menu.

Cons: The departure process for more reasons than one!

Recommends Empress of the Seas (RETIRED)? Yes!

No complaints and super clean.
Fantastic menu and service with plenty of variety. Midnight buffet was a total work of art and so was the poolside one.
Everyone was terrific, especially the waiters, attendants and the adventure ocean staff.
Smaller than on other cruises, but adequate with wonderful attendants. Thanks Danny.
The shows were good, only comment is that they need more sets and at the main seating show there were not enough seats so get there early. Celebrity does that part better. Something for everyone in entertainment though.
Been on several cruise lines and these guys were the best. The program kept the kids interested and anxious to go daily. I took them off the boat and all they wanted to do it go back to the playroom!! The hours in port were even more extensive and so if I wanted to go off the boat they would even feed them lunch for me. Only comment is I had to miss the end (grand finale of each show) to get the kids. I would have preferred the extra 15 mins and loose it at lunch or in the a.m. Otherwise the staff and program were awesome!!
St. George's, Bermuda
My favorite port. Short walk to the sites and shops. Went to Tobacco Bay Beach and it is nice for the kids if small.
Don't Miss: Everything!
Hamilton, Bermuda
Been before, loved it just as much. Definitely do a day pass on the bus and ride it out to the Dockyard, catch a ferry back and then ride the ferry just for fun if you have time in the evening. Don't buy one for kids, they can ride for a dollar (if they charge you at all) I bought a 12 dollar adult ticket on the boat (don't have kids tickets there) and basically wasted my money.
Don't Miss: The fort was neat and had a great view. Shops are right below the boat.