Horrible weather ruined my cruise

Disney Wonder Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Contributor Level: Cruise Director

5 Night Western Caribbean (Miami Roundtrip)
Sail Date: January 23, 2015
Ship: Disney Wonder

After taking a cruise on the Dream in September, I was totally excited to do this cruise from Miami. But flying into Miami and getting onto the ship is not as easy as it is from MCO/Port Canaveral.  I was also struck by how old the ship looked.  The Wonder is over 10 yrs old but wow. I saw rust outside our window and the room was not pristine, like I was expecting from my previous three Disney cruises!  Plus the adult pool was looking rundown.

The staff also seemed to be the "B" team. I had a good experience with the head server but we had communication challenges with the servers and the whole cruise was very multilingual.  Mainly it was geared towards spanish-speaking guests.  Which is fine if I had known that... it was a bit of an unwelcome surprise to find that out when we got there.

Also, the weather was horrible.  I never get seasick, but we ended up taking dramamine every day just to get through it.  We didn't even get to dock on Castaway Cay and I cannot tell you how disappointed I was. I LOVE Castaway Cay. I will always remember watching the ship sail away from the dock after trying twice to get in, and I am still in disbelief.  It's YOUR island, Disney! Make it happen at any cost!  The tender from Georgetown was insane going back to the ship because it was storming and the waves were super high. I honestly thought we were going to capsize.

Over all, just skip the January sail dates. It can be chilly and the weather not nice. And if you have a choice, try the newer ships.  The smaller size is nice, but overall the bigger ones will be way more fun.

They had to scramble when we had an addtl day at sea instead of on the island.

It was hard to understand some of the servers. Good for non-US ppl though!

saw rust, sagging wallpaper, the phones didn't work and the tv had something screwy too.

It's a good bargain; but don't expect it to be as nice as the bigger ships.

Confusing and crowded
tenders are no fun. the beach was only just ok.
didn't even get to go! And I usually LOVE Castaway Cay. Watch out for Jan sailings.