Diamond Princess Cruise Review to Alaska

Second Mate

This was my second cruise...

Sail Date: July 09, 2011

Room Type: Suite

This was my second cruise with Princess to Alaska. I think both were about the same for me. Our neighbor's brother was married on the ship and we were with a group of 20. The Penthouse Suite was very nice. We had the same one last time on the Golden Princess. We had free internet (when it worked) which is so cool. Our stateroom attendant was awesome. We did notice though that many other crew were not as friendly as you would expect on a cruise. We are really spoiled because of Celebrity though! :) They are a hard act to follow. We don't care for the buffet arrangement. Too confined and like a cafeteria. We prefer the stations that are separated. We were not impressed with the Sterling steakhouse which was their $20.00 specialty restaurant. It was set up in the buffet area! No ambiance. The food was mediocre too. We did not go to Sabatini's - the other specialty restaurant. Room service was great though. Always fast and cheerful, food was hot. The overall appearance of the ship was fine. They now have Movies Under the Stars and the Sanctuary. We were disappointed that all of the pools were NOT heated. We had some awesome weather but the pools were too chilly. I noticed only kids in them nearly all of the time. It may sound like I'm complaining a lot but really it was not bad. Just being critical in certain areas. Princess meets expectations. If you want a cruise to exceed expectations, try Celebrity.

Recommends Diamond Princess? Yes!

For 8 grand, we could have had a bigger suite on Celebrity. I think it was just because it was Alaska.
Average food. It was good, not great.
Didn't see any shows but I heard from others that some were good and others were really bad.
They appeared to be kid friendly. Don't know.
There wasn't enough to complain about to give an ok rating.
Nice gym. Took 2 good Pilates classes.
I love Alaska!