A Good Value but Could Have Been Better

Diamond Princess Cruise Review to Alaska

Sail Date: May 01, 2010
Ship: Diamond Princess
Cabin Type: Suite
The ship itself was great, our cabin steward was fantastic. The suite was large, the bed was firm, everything was clean. Ship was very clean and seemed up to date. My biggest complaint was the food. Our cruise was mostly Japanese patrons, the food reflected that. Most dishes at the buffets and sit down dining were fish. What meat that was available was overcooked. We were lucky, our dining room staff (had set dining time) was very attentive but I could see that was not true for other tables in the dining room. Can honestly say that in seven days we only had one good meal, the beef tenderloin, it was cooked just right (medium rare), tastey and tender. The "Chef's Dinner" on the last formal night was a total disappointment. Everyone at our table (8) was laughing that it's time for a new chef. The ports were OK, if you can get past all the "Cruise Line" jewelry stores. Would I take this trip again? Yes. Would I go on the Diamond Princess? Jury is still out on that.

Both quality and variety were poor.

For a cruise ship I would say the entertainment was very good. Ship needs to enforce its rule of no children in lounges at night. Many adult games were cleaned up because a few children were present. Kids were participating in games meant for adults.

For us, the staff was top rate but I could see that others were not so lucky.

The ship itself was top rate.

Our suite was roomy, clean, and bright.

Pros: Suite was roomy and bright.

Cons: You can get better food at HoJo's.

Recommends Diamond Princess? Yes!