We had a FANTASTIC time!

Crystal Esprit Cruise Review to Caribbean

Cruises: 7+ cruises

Overall rating:

Crystal Esprit

7 Night British Virgin Islands & Saint Barts Yachting Escape (St. Martin Roundtrip)

Sail date: December 02, 2018

Ship: Crystal Esprit

Cabin type: Suite

Traveled as: Couple

Review summary

This cruise far exceeded our expectations. When we were told we would not be going to the same islands as were listed in the itinerary when we booked the trip, we contemplated canceling the trip. We're glad we didn't. Crystal really worked hard to make the trip fun, and it worked for us. We had such a good time that we have already booked another trip on the Espirit for 2020.

Embarkation

I only gave a 4 here, because we had set up our transfer from the airport prior to arrival. We saw the people from Crystal waiting at the arrivals section, checked in with them and were taken to a taxi. When we arrived at the ship the taxi driver expected to get paid, and we had been told we had complimentary transfer. It was eventually sorted out, but there was certainly some mis-communication there on Crystal's part.

Ship experiences

Wasn't expecting much on a small ship, but Craig was amazing. He must know 500 songs, and plays piano, flute, sax and guitar, and all of them quite well. He was very entertaining, and when Captain Jan played bass along with him, that was really special. Entertainment was a highlight of the trip.

Room was great. How often do you have a double sink on a cruise ship? The shower was huge. We had a nice couch, although we never sat on it because we were either eating, drinking, on an excursion or sleeping.

Ship tip

Be aware that getting ashore can be a struggle if you are not in good physical condition. They use something they call the Zodiac, which is nothing but a motorized rubber raft. When it is rocking and rolling with the waves, some folks struggled to keep their footing.

Ports of call

Marigot, Saint Martin

Marigot is OK. The entire island is still recovering from the big hurricane last year, so you have to give them a pass.

Gustavia, St. Barthelemy

Had a great time here on the ATV adventure. It was fun zipping around the island, and was very cool to stop by the airport and see a couple planes landing on that impossible runway. Best excursion of the trip.

Anegada Island, B.V.I.

I heard a lot of people complaining that this was a waste of time, but we had a good time. We did the jeep adventure (really a SUV), and drove around to a few beaches, had a drink here and there and just relaxed. A nice few hours.

SCRUB ISLAND, B.V.I.

Jost Van Dyke, B.V.I.

This stop was OK. The highlight was the Soggy Dollar bar, but it really is just another beach bar that has become a popular destination with tourists.

Spanish Town, Virgin Gorda, B.V.I.

I really don't remember what we did here. I remember we went to Moskito Island after this, and Moskito was great. Beautiful picnic on Crystal's private beach. Water was a little rough, but we had a nice time lounging on the beach.

Disembarkation

Crystal arranged for us to go to the Divi Resort on St. Martin to spend the time until our plane departure. That was a nice way to spend a few hours.

1 Comment