Celebrity Equinox Cruise Review to Panama Canal, Central America

High expectation not met!

Sail Date: January 02, 2012

Had great expectations, had cruised last year on Celebrity and it was wonderful. We expected, since it weas the newest addition to the fleet, the ship to be exceptional in all aspect. Of course, it is beautiful thanbks to the high quality of the furniture and decor, although the Royal Carribean line ships are out of this world flamboyant. Our biggest deception was the food either in the Cafeteria or at night - in the cafeteria we found the variety of the meals lacking, it was almost always the same foods with little variations. At night, was our biggest disappointment, on all the 10 cruises I have done I would rate it the poorest. It is the first time in all my cruising that I had to return the food (3 times), either it was served cold or was of very poor quality, especially the lobster night, I love lobsters and it was so bad, I had one mouthful and stopped eating. I didn't even want to have it changed! The variety was so lacking, the appetizers were very ordinary and we found a lot of food always some form of cheese in it!!!!
The dining room staff was also lacking in friendliness, it kept changing, may be because we had choosen the select dining which we believe was a mistake. We thought we could dine at our leisure, at any time we wanted etc. No, we had to make reservations every night and we never got the same table, we kept moving around in the dining section of the "select dining". If we did not show up at the time (6:15) every night, we were either put in a corner with a view of the wall because we were 5 in our group!!!!
Also, it is the first time that the beds are changed every 4 days only. We were 3 in our staterooms, one of us using the sofa bed. In any of the other cruise I took, whenever we were 3 in the room (my grandson, my daughter and myself), they always made the sofa bed every day so we could enjoy sitting on the sofa to play, watch TV etc. On this cruise, whey never made the sofa-bed, it was always a bed, and the changing only every 4 days was also a disappointment especially since my sister in law and my niece were sick the first 2 days of the cruise, swetting and vomiting, we would have appreciated a change of linen. When we asked about it, we were told it would be done in 2 more days only, it was the policy! WOW! I have never see this on any other cruise ships.

Pros: Quality of the ship - Decor, furniture.

Cons: Food disappointing

Recommends Celebrity Equinox? No.

See above