Carnival Valor Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

this was an ok cruise

Sail Date: January 01, 2007

Traveled As: Family w/young children

Specific details are below excpet for the excursion details. everything was hurry up and wait. took long times to get to place, we were not told that everything on st Thomas closes at 5pm downtown. we were left at a beach needed to arrange our own taxi drive back. our last excursion was cancelled, we did not recieve notificiation about this cancellation until it was too late to book another excursion leading to a very long 7 hour wait in an airport with two young children.

Pros: CAMP CARNIVAL, ENTERTAINMENT STAFF

Cons: FOOD VARIETY AND TEMPERATURE, EXCURSIONS

Recommends Carnival Valor? Yes!

food was ok, not as good as expected, milk was luke warm and with two young children it would be nice to feel comforatable giving them milk, variety was fair. not many choices for children unless they were eating in the dining room. which does not leave the adults time to enjoy company and or food.
This ship was clean and cared for, in fact repairs were being done while we were on board, guess that leads to a decent attention to detail. perhaps this should have been done, late night or early evening ( unless it was a safety issue)
fine, cleaned twice a day, but not magically. perhaps it is because we had 4 of us , it was difficult to keep tour part of the responsibilities (clothes put away)
depends on who they are . the entertainment staff were wonderful, they acknoleldged us by name and made sure things were good. half of our dining expericiences were wonderful the other half not so wonderful. perhaps the manontany of the same menu week after week and the same job week after week makes some tired. our best waiter made the comment when it is not fun any more he will stop doing this, it was obvious others around him were not having fun any more. i did have a great expierience one late night after I picked up my children from camp carnival. we went to the lido deck, got pizza and a drink and a couple of the wait staff stopped by to check on me and my children, brought hot chocolate and then went back and got ice for it. that is the attention to detail that one should always enjoy on a cruise.
there was a lot of hurry up and wait going on here. if you were attentive enough to the written schedule you had plenty to do. if you forgot the schedule or were not in the right place at the right time you missed the event. the cruise is what you make of it, if you choose to participate there is a lot to do . I would personally like to see more options for families to work together. the night shows were spectacular, seating is a problem, it would also be nice to have the host or hostess advise people to sit closer together to make more room for additional viewers.
the camp carnival was wonderful. my children 4 and 3 had a spectacular time. there was even one time they asked why we came to pick them up, they wanted to stay. my only concern is that everytime I came to get them they were sitting, watching tv or a movie, one time sitting listening to a story. I know they did activiites and perhaps my timing was bad. i just do not like my children sitting.