Thank you for the nice surprise, Carnival!

Carnival Splendor Cruise Review

Cruises: 7+ cruises

Overall rating:

Carnival Splendor

7 Night Mexican Riviera (Los Angeles Roundtrip)

Sail date: June 29, 2019

Ship: Carnival Splendor

Cabin type: Balcony

Cabin number: 8277

Traveled as: Family (older children)

Review summary

We had a blast! Everyone loved it. It was the perfect family vacation. We spent so much time together with minimal bickering and lots of laughing.

Embarkation

We bought FTTF (faster to the fun). This is a great option. Don't hesitate to buy it, especially if you're visiting a port with tenders. You'll embark in the first twenty minutes. Disembark in the first group at tender service ports. Definitely worth the money.

Ship experiences

We were very pleasantly surprised at the quality and choices of food options. We ate breakfast, sea day brunch, and dinner in the MDR daily. We all enjoyed the lido deck offerings for lunch. My favorite was the Mongolian wok. Kids loved the grill for burgers, and of course the pizza bar. Last few days I discovered the deli, and never looked back. Absolutely delicious sandwiches, and a large variety. Plus, truffle fries! There's were other options I didn't even get to, but DW loved the Indian food. It took supreme effort but I only got soft serve a couple times.

Lots of activities. We enjoyed the trivia contests. The comedy shows were hilarious! And my son and I really enjoyed the dive in movies - he even put away his phone 😱 so you know it was good - it was a nice bonding time.

See above under activities. We thoroughly enjoyed all the activities we did. We were having so much fun we never made it to the stage shows. Enjoyed the music and the party atmosphere in the atrium. Lee, pie cruise director was amazing! The man is a ball of contagious energy.

Really, really unbelievably fantastic. Everyone from the writers in the MDR to our room steward was beyond friendly, considerate, and helpful. They made our cruise that much extra special. It was my pleasure to top each one more than the recommended amount. I did this in cash for each server and the steward. They truly deserved every penny and more!

Very clean! The fam thought it was dated. I'm easy, I enjoyed the retro vibe. I mean, come-on, it's Carnival, it's supposed to be over the top... And it was. πŸ˜‚

The only complaint was a squeaky closet door. It didn't bother is enough to even ask the steward for WD-40. The multi plug power block (with built-in night light) that we brought didn't plug in due to the hot of the ship outlet, so our room steward's supervisor brought us a regular power strip. That's the level of service we got. Amazing!

Ship tip

Pace yourself! There's a lot to do. Kick your FOMO to the curb.

Ports of call

Long Beach (Los Angeles), California

Whatever, it's Long Beach

Cabo San Lucas, Mexico

This had always been my favorite spot in Mexico. First vacationed there in 1997. It has gone from a sleepy with a party atmosphere with a half dozen fun nightspots; to a crazy tourist trap. You have to walk the gauntlet of barkers when you get off the tender. Just an open air tourist trap, every other store front is a "pharmacia." Shop at the low slung covered market right behind the Marlin statue in the harbor. And don’t be a loco gringo - haggle! You shouldn't pay more than half of the asking price.

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

Again, everyone loved it. We hired a cab and went to the center of town. Enjoy the art on the seashore, and the beautiful old cathedral (be respectful, it's an active church). Or cabbie then drove on what was once a road through the jungle - but is now boardered by hotels and condos catering to Americans, on the bay side of the road - to the location where Night of the Iguana was filmed. It was beautiful.

Mazatlan, Mexico

Everyone loved it. We hired a cab. I was told I had to keep drinking Pacifico (brewed in town) while riding in the front seat, or the cabbie would get in trouble πŸ˜‚πŸ˜œπŸ€ͺ Don't pay more than $20 a person, and shoot for $15. Don't be afraid to walk away. They'll chase you down.

Disembarkation

We had a long drive home so we raced to be among the first off the ship. We were off by 7:30. The process was orderly. No herd stampede - at least at that hour.