Carnival Spirit Cruise Review to Hawaii

Name says it all

Sail Date: April 22, 2011

Since this was our first Carnival cruise, we decided to go with a good attitude and have fun. Boarding in Honolulu was easy enough, but upon boarding, we were slightly amused and disarmed by the garish Las Vegas lights and style. The rooms were pretty standard as to the other ships we have been on, and the stewards were friendly enough and made sure to keep everything in good shape without bothering us. The wait staff in the dining room and bar waiters on the fantail were some of the best that we have seen. I can not say the same about the others. In the lido, I would swear that no one ever told the waiters to clean the tables, or refill your drinks like on other cruise lines. Overall, we had a good time, but will not travel with Carnival again. I guess I am too spoiled by the understated elegance and service from the "other" guys

Pros: Bar and Wait staff

Cons: Garish tacky ship

Recommends Carnival Spirit? Yes!

Really needs a good decorator. I felt like I was at a Carnival...................everything was done in bad taste, and really did someone get a good deal on a thousand of the same woman's heads that are everywhere in the lido restaurant?
The Steak house has excellent food, however, the time it takes it WAAAAAAy toooooo long. The dining room staff tries their hardest, however you can make up for undercooked baked potatoes, bad stroganoff etc. Why no pate? Really do you serve fried chicken and ribs on a cruise ship? The lido salad bar and sandwich bar were excellent ideas. If you can make your own salad, it by far exceeds the ones that you will get in the restaurant. If you go to the grill, try the grilled chicken breast sanwich. You will have to wait 8 minutes for it to cook, but worth the wait. If you are hungry or want to fill the bun with chicken, ask for 2 as they are small. Enough for me, but I cut off half the bun.
Bed was uncomfortable, but added the extra blankets under me and asked the steward to flip the mattress. It seemed to work and I wasn't as uncomfortable for the rest of the trip.
Again, the dining room staff and the fantail bar staff were good, (some of the casino workers and barstaff too) but the security needs to figure some things out when a problem arises. The photography staff had 2 nice people and a bunch of jerks. The Hawaiian band was a couple of sleazebags.
Comedy club a nice touch, but the shows were short. The Hawaiian entertainers drank way too much and tried to touch tooo many passengers. Even to the point of doing inappropriate things in the bathroom and calling passengers inappropriate names.