Carnival Paradise Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Typical cruise experience -with a few surprises

Sail Date: December 26, 2015

If it wasn't for people who post their experience, I would never have know the stateroom would not have a hair dryer. We got to the terminal at 11:30, no problems getting checked in. Once aboard I was surprised how small the atrium was compared to other ships I've been on. The staff in every area was friendly and appear to enjoy their job and the guests.

If you have been on cruises before, this one is no different. Food is average. But now you have to pay extra for steak and/or lobster. One of these days the chefs will learn how to make a decent pizza, but not on this ship.

Beware of the drink package. Yes it's $49 per day plus gratuity, but that is for each person in the stateroom over 18. So if one of the guests does not drink, too bad. Also, you only get up to 15 drinks a day, and they can't be more than $10 each regular price. It would have cost the two of us just under $600. We only drank $120 worth by paying as we drank.

Embarking and debarking are set up much better than I've known it to be like. Getting luggage when off the ship is easier than it used to be too.

We did not book any excursions. We bring our own snorkel gear and find the hot spot. Grand Cayman it was Paradise Restaurant, they offer a snorkel package for $18, but if you don't want their gear and need a locker, it's only $5. But I don't think the package includes the locker. When at Cozumel, we rented a little car for $85 for the day with full insurance, and traveled the island on our own. We ate at Coconuts Bar and Grill, wonderful food, drinks and decor. Stopped at for a Tequila Tour, gained a lot of knowledge, had a drink, tasting of different tequilas and a souvenir, all for $10.

Last day was cruise day - relaxing day but trying to find two lounge chairs next to each other was rather difficult, but after 20 minutes we found some.

Cruise Photos

We usually get interior because we like darkness and we would rather spend our money elsewhere , When we're ready to see the outside, that's when we get up. The wake up service is good. I was surprised to see shampoo and body wash in the shower. But there was not a hair dryer. I'm glad we brought our own. Was very surprised at the amount of room. There was just the two of us, but we had 3 medium suitcases and a backpack. Plenty of hangers and bathroom cabinet space. The TV was a bit small for the room, but the reception was wonderful.
You can see many areas they improved. But I still found a few areas they should pay more attention to. I found rust on vents walking around the lido deck.
I give the entertainment a 8/10. The shows after dinner were not very good. I grew up listening to classic rock, the performers obviously did not, it was not as exciting as it could have been. There are 1000's of songs to pick from and they were not very enjoyable with a few of their choices. But the rest of the entertainment, bar singers and comedy were fabulous.
George Town, Grand Cayman
This is a great beautiful island, but the time spent here doesn't allow you to see enough. We did not book an excursion, we walked about 10 minutes into town to Paradise Restaurant to go snorkeling. Since we have our own gear, we only spent $5 on a locker. The water and the variety of fish were amazing. you could get your gear with them for $18.
If you have been here before or your not into shopping or excursions, go out on your own and explore. We rented a car with Target. Although the car was a stick-shift, at least my husband could drive. The cost was only $85 for the Chevy Pop with full insurance, plus about $5 in gas. Be sure to bring cash, many stops and restaurants only take cash. The people were super friendly. Go to The Tequila Tour. $10 gets you a drink, souvenir, tour, and tasting of about 10 different tequila's they sell.

Bring a hairdryer if you really need one.