Cruising in the age of COVID

Carnival Horizon Cruise Review

Cruises: 7+ cruises

Overall rating:

Carnival Horizon

8 Night Southern Caribbean (Miami Roundtrip)

Sail date: August 07, 2021

Ship: Carnival Horizon

Cabin type: Balcony

Cabin number: 9311

Traveled as: Couple

Reviewed: 1 month ago

Review summary

It was a very enjoyable cruise and had a nice mix of people from every background.

Embarkation

It went very smoothly. The facial recognition system enhanced the boarding process. We had an 1130 check in and arrived at 1145. We were on board 15 minutes later. You must wear a mask in the terminal and when embarking.

Ship experiences

Main Dining Room: Food was average. I loved the lobster tail on the first elegant night (wish the lobster was bigger 😉). JiJi: I loved lunch here. I ate their twice. They give you a menu and you check off what you want and they prepare it. It was the Mongolian Wok at lunch. Steakhouse: Loved it!! Service and food was outstanding.

Ji Ji Asian Kitchen

We had lunch here twice while on board and loved the Mongolian Wok.

SKYBOX Sports Bar

Luciano was the best!

Piano Bar 88

Eden is outstanding!!! He accepts drinks as tips! Jeffrey Munks should be an in an orchestra. Outstanding piano abilities!

Lido Marketplace

Food was okay. Great desserts at lunch. Wish they offered the same selection of desserts at dinner as well.

JavaBlue Cafe

Good. Always kept a long line.

Guy's Pig & Anchor BBQ Smokehouse Brewhouse

We did not do dinner. Lunch was okay. However, they have really good Bloody Mary’s. It was something about adding bacon to it that really had me going yum!

Guy's Burger Joint

Great as always!

Fahrenheit 555 Steakhouse

OMG!!!🤩. I recommend the smoked oysters (it’s a show in itself) and the dessert art of the table. Great service and food!

Reflection Restaurant

Good service. Average food. I enjoyed the first elegant night and especially my lobster tail. Staff appeared to be a but disorganized but extremely friendly. Our wait staff did an excellent job of keeping up with our demands.

We played all manner of trivia, spent time in the casino, and definitely played some Bingo.

Shows were okay. However, I believe they were a bit rusty as a lot of them were out of work for 17+ months. The trio of violinists were awesome as well as Audra, who performed a lot of covers from various artists with a twist.

Carnival Multiplex

IMAX was nice. No cancelling once scheduled as they will not refund.

Room was cleaned daily and loved my towel animals each day. I Dewa, our room steward was great!

Ship tip

Mask wearing was strongly encouraged in doors. Some venues more strict than others. Masks really did not get in the way of us having fun. If you are drinking/eating, no mask! Also, in elevators and lines, it becomes routine. I ended up forgetting I had a mask on most of the time. 😷😷😷. Also, the thrill theater was inoperable during our cruise. Curaçao was great! Could not rate on here as it did not show up in ports of call.

Ports of call

Amber Cove (Puerto Plata), Dominican Republic

La Romana, Dominican Republic

We stayed in the port area. We can’t comment on La Romana.

Oranjestad, Aruba

We took a bus to Eagle Beach, which was gorgeous. $5 round trip to the beach by bus, with places to get drinks nearby. Very beautiful!

Miami, Florida

Disembarkation

We were off the boat by 0830. It does not get better than that.