I should have known, but I didn't listen to myself!

Amsterdam Cruise Review to U.S. - Pacific, Northwest

3 Night Pacific Coastal Northbound (San Diego To Vancouver
Sail Date: May 27, 2015
Ship: Amsterdam

I booked this 3 night Pacific Coastal Northbound Cruise and had the forethought to call my doc and get my prescription for sea sickness, Antivert.  I've cruised 4 times previous to this and knew it worked for me.  The pre-registration, boarding and room assignment were absolutely flawless.  The ship, although dated, was immaculate.  The sanitary precautions were spot on, no self service buffet, no condiments, salt and pepper shakers on the tables.  We were pleased to see such caution.  I felt the motion on the first day but it was more than bearable.  Just little rises and falls to the stomach. I didn't bother to take my antivert.  Day 2 a little more nauseous and a trip to the ship's doc for a different issue.  Didn't feel great but didn't slow down.  Ate in the main dining room both nights, service was not great, food choices minimal, but tasty

.  The dirty table next to us when we were seated was still dirty when we left.  The server was spotty and not at all interested in chatting it up or being sociable.  I ate bland food both nights, by choice due to my tummy roiling.  Still too stupid and stubborn to take the antivert.  We greatly enjoyed the ship entertainment, the piano bar and the crow's nest late night DJ and dancing.  Day 3 at sea and I was seriously not feeling well, still not smart enough to take the antivert.  Went to the napkin folding class and mixology class while hubby played poker.  Nice fun atmosphere at both.  One drink in and I was flat out sick.  Trying to hold on and not be.  Got dressed for dinner and didn't even make it into the diningroom.  Hubby ate alone and I got sick 4 times in the ladies room before heading quickly to our stateroom.  Was sick and throwing up the rest of the time.  Even sick I know the ship was a fun experience and some old time cruising instead of the drunken frolics of a Carnival Cruise.  By the time I decided to use the antivert I couldn't keep it down.  As I said, too stupid to take it.  I will probably never cruise again, but it has nothing to do with Holland America, which was, by far the best run ship we've ever been on and the best entertainment, and social areas and venues.  Holland America has cruising down, they have it all figured out re embarkation and disembarkation.  Can't praise them enough!

The Crow's Nest was our favorite place to be, day or night. Nice group and great singer in the piano bar! Fun night!

San Diego is a great walking city, lots to see and do from the Midway to the shops, galleries and Little Italy!
What a beautiful city, easy to navigate by tour bus. Stunning! We will be back!