Carnival Ship to Receive $200 Million Renovation & New Name
The 101,000 gross ton vessel will be receiving a $200 million makeover in early 2019, and will emerge with a brand new name: Carnival Sunrise. The dry dock will be two months long and take place in Cadiz, Spain beginning on March 1.
Following a renaming ceremony, Carnival Sunrise will re-enter service with a series of five to seven-day cruises from Norfolk, Virginia beginning April 29, and a summer schedule of four to fourteen-day voyages from New York City beginning May 23. In October, the ship will then move to Fort Lauderdale for the winter.
Enhancements include the redesign of two Captain’s Suites adjacent to the navigational bridge with floor to ceiling windows and extended balconies. Across the ship, all cabins will be updated with pastel and bright colors to reflect an island atmosphere.
New Dining Options
Carnival Sunrise will include all of the dining venues that Carnival cruisers have come to know and love over the past several years, including the following:
- Cucina del Capitano - serving up Italian favorites family-style
- Guy’s Pig & Anchor Bar-B-Que Smokehouse - a casual open-air venue with barbecue favorites created by Food Network star Guy Fieri
- JavaBlue Cafe - this expanded version of Carnival’s coffee bars will offer lattes, cappuccinos, spiked coffees, confections, and more
- Fahrenheit 555 Steakhouse - a classic American steakhouse with an understated atmosphere
- Bonsai Express - the popularity of the full-service Bonsai Sushi restaurants prompted this casual spot, with an array of sushi, sashimi, rolls, and more
- The Chef’s Table - a multi-course dining experience hosted in a glass-enclosed venue in the forward dining room
- Cherry on Top - the “sweetest spot on board” featuring candy, gifts, custom apparel, and more
- Lido Marketplace - the ship’s buffet will be redesigned to offer The Deli with sandwiches and paninis, Pizzeria del Capitano with hand-tossed pizzas 24/7, the Seafood Shack offering up lobster rolls and other New England-inspired fare, and an expanded Swirls spot with ice cream and frozen yogurt
New bars and lounges on the ship will include:
- RedFrog Pub - the Caribbean’s best rums and beers can be found here, including Carnival’s own ThirstyFrog Red
- Piano Bar 88 - a new twist on Carnival’s classic piano bar that will offer themed nights, new decor, and spontaneous sing-alongs
- Limelight Lounge - home to the Punchliner Comedy Club, this lounge will headline comedians in the evenings, and transform into a nightclub for the remainder of the night
- Multi-Purpose Liquid Lounge - a theater home to daytime and nighttime entertainment, including Playlist Productions shows and the audience participation favorite: Hasbro, The Game Show.
Other Additions & Enhancements
Carnival Sunrise will include a SportSquare deck with a suspended ropes course, jogging track, ping-pong, foosball, pool tables, a jogging track, and nine-hole mini golf course. For cooling off on a hot day, there will be a WaterWorks aqua park, complete with a 203-foot-long AquaTunnel slide and Carnival’s signature Twister slide, along with a tipping bucket and little kid’s area. To escape from the kids for a little while, guests can head to the Serenity area, which is an adults-only deck offering chaise lounges, whirlpools, and oversized umbrellas.
Other spaces that will be overhauled include the Cloud 9 Spa, the youth clubs, The Warehouse arcade, and the retail shops onboard.
Carnival Sunrise’s inaugural season from Norfolk kicks off with a seven-day cruise visiting Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, and Freeport departing April 29, 2019. A pair of five day cruises will call in Nassau and Freeport, and three six-day cruises will visit Half Moon Cay, Nassau, and Freeport.
Then, the ship will reposition to New York City for a series of four to fourteen-day cruises beginning May 23. The program includes four to eight-day Bermuda voyages along with seven-day fall foliage cruises to New England and the Canadian Maritimes, and two different eight-day Caribbean itineraries. Several longer cruises will also be offered, including a ten-day exotic eastern Caribbean cruise and a fourteen-day Carnival Journeys Panama Canal cruise.
Carnival Sunrise will reposition to Fort Lauderdale in October, sailing four and five-day cruises beginning October 28. Four-day long weekend cruises will call at ports like Half Moon Cay, Princess Cays, Grand Turk, and Nassau, while five-day cruises will visit Cuba as well as destinations in the Bahamas, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Grand Turk.
Join The Discussion
Are you thinking about sailing Carnival Sunrise once it's emerged from the renovation?