Recipe: Carnival Cruise Line’s Caramel Praline Crème Brûlée and Viking Cruises’ Viennese Hot Chocolate
In celebration of today being Crème Brûlée Day, we recommend you add a European flair to your dessert by ending your meal on a sweet note and sugar high with Carnival Cruise Line’s Caramel Praline Crème Brûlée paired with Viking Cruises Viennese Hot Chocolate. While Crème Brûlée means “burnt cream” in French, many European countries claim this decadent dessert as their own.
Caramel Praline Creme Brulee - Carnival Cruise Line
- 20 egg yolks
- 3 oz brown sugar
- 2 oz sugar
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 4 cups half & half
- A taste of vanilla essence (or vanilla extract)
Caramel Praline Mix
- ½ cup praline paste
- ½ cup caramel sauce
- 1 oz brown sugar
- 2 oz sugar
- In a double boiler, mix the milk, cream, and 1 oz of sugar. Warm this mixture.
- Mix the egg yolk with the other half amount of sugar.
- Combine the milk and egg yolk mixture. Add vanilla extract.
- Add the caramel praline mix and strain it... twice, for good measure.
- Taste before pouring it into the brûlée dish
- Bake in a water bath at 340° F for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Mix the sugar and brown sugar.
- Generously sprinkle the brûlée with the sugar mix and caramelize the surface under a very hot broiler, or use a propane or butane cooking torch. (Careful with the torch!)
- Fancy bonus! Garnish with fruit, mint leaf… or whatever you’d like!
Viennese Hot Chocolate – Viking Cruises
- 3 C low-fat milk, divided
- 7 oz premium dark chocolate, grated
- 1 T sugar
- 1 C heavy cream, chilled
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 T confectioners’ sugar
- Cocoa powder or chocolate shavings
- Place 1 C of the milk and chocolate in a small saucepan over medium-low; reduce to low and simmer until chocolate has melted, about 4 minutes.
- Place granulated sugar and remaining milk in another saucepan over medium-low, whisking until sugar dissolves.
- Pour chocolate mixture into the milk, whisking to combine, and simmer on low.
- Combine cream and vanilla together in a large bowl; add confectioners’ sugar and beat until peaks form.
- Pour chocolate into cups and top with a generous dollop of whipped cream and a pinch of cocoa or chocolate shavings.