Recipe: Guy Fieri’s The Ringer Burger from Carnival Cruise Line and Holland America Line’s Sangria
Memorial Day is right around the corner and the best way to elevate your backyard barbecue with friends and family is with Emmy Award-winning celebrity chef Guy Fieri’s The Ringer Burger, found at Guy’s Burger Joint restaurants on Carnival Cruise Line. Holland America Line’s Sangria will complement Guy’s famous Donkey Sauce and is the perfect refreshing beverage for those who are not ready to switch from wine to beer.
Guy Fieri’s The Ringer Burger – Carnival Cruise Line
- 5 oz ground beef (80/20 blend)
- ½ oz cheese sauce (e.g. Velveeta)
- ½ oz thinly-sliced sweet onion
- 1½ oz finely-shaved iceberg lettuce
- 1 slice of American cheddar cheese
- 1 thin slice beefsteak tomato
- 3 paper-thin slices of kosher dill pickle
- 2 tbsp "Donkey Sauce" (recipe below)
- 1 large crispy onion ring
- 1 tbsp Guy Fieri Bourbon Brown Sugar BBQ Sauce (available in stores)
- kosher salt, for seasoning
- 1 soft hamburger bun, split in half
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- ¼ tsp garlic paste
Donkey Sauce (Yields 1 cup)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup roasted garlic
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- 4 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 4 pinches ground black pepper
Making the Burger
- Heat a flat-top grill or cast-iron pan over very high heat. Form the ground beef into a tight ball and season with salt. Place hamburger ball on grill to sear for 45 seconds, then flatten with a heavy spatula to about ⅓ inch thickness.
- Cook for 90 seconds to develop a crust on the first side of the bottom. Flip over and cook on the second side for one minute to develop another crust. Add cheese sauce to the top of the hamburger and top the cheese sauce with a slice of cheese. (This is where it gets good.)
- Combine the garlic and melted butter. Brush the inside of bun halves with the mixture and toast on the grill or pan for 3-4 seconds, until golden and crisp. Flip and toast for 3-4 seconds so the outsides are also lightly toasted.
Making the Sauce
- Combine ingredients together in a bowl and mix well.
Put It Together
- Smear Donkey Sauce on the sliced side of both bun halves.
- Layer the base with pickle slices and the burger patty.
- Top burger with crispy onion ring, BBQ sauce, sliced onions, tomato and lettuce.
- Here's the tough part: place the top half of the bun on top.
Sangria – Holland America Line
- 2 large oranges, well washed
- 1 large lemon, well washed and sliced
- ¼ cup superfine sugar
- 2 red apples, well washed, cored and chopped
- ¼ cup triple sec
- ¼ cup brandy, or a mixture of half brandy and half Grand Marnier
- 1 (750 milliliter) bottle inexpensive fry red wine (such as roja), chilled
- ½ cup sparkling water, chilled (optional)
- 6 ice cubes
- Slice one orange and juice the other; set them aside separately.
- In a large pitcher, combine the orange slices, lemon slices and sugar. With a wooden spoon, mash the fruit gently until some juice is released and the sugar dissolves but the fruit isn’t totally crushed. Stir in the apples, the reserved fresh orange juice, triple sec, brandy, and wine.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Right before serving, stir in the sparking water (if using) and the ice cubes, making sure to reach the fruit that has settled on the bottom.
- Divide the sangria among the glasses – let a few pieces of fruit pour into each one – and serve immediately.