Recipe: Carnival’s Kicked Up Conch Fritters and Norwegian’s Spicy Piña Punch
Just because it’s December doesn’t mean you can’t spice up your kitchen with some tropical favorites! Stay warm this winter with these treats that feature a little heat. In celebration of National Fritter Day (December 2) spice up your frying game with these golden, hush-puppy-style Kicked Up Conch Fritters by Carnival Cruise Line. Don’t forget the decadent picka-peppa sauce to dip these little balls of brilliance in either! Pair these treats with Norwegian Cruise Line’s Spicy Piña Punch and you are sure to kick any winter blues away transporting yourself to the sunshine with just one bite.
Spicy Piña Punch – Norwegian Cruise Line
- BACARDÍ Superior Rum
- Benedictine liqueur
- Monin Chipotle Pineapple syrup
- Pineapple juice
- Fresh lime
- Muddled jalapeño
- Mix and Enjoy!
Kicked Up Conch Fritters – Carnival Cruise Line
- 2 lbs whole conch
- 2 oz red onions
- ¼ lbs medium green peppers
- ¼ lb medium red peppers
- ½ lb fresh scotch bonnet peppers
- 4 oz cilantro
- ¼ oz oregano
- 1½ tsp thyme
- 1 lemon
- 1 lime
- 3 lbs plantains
- 2 oz cilantro
- ½ lb leeks
Choux paste (pronounce it like “shoe”):
- 8 oz water
- 3 oz gruyere cheese
- 2 oz butter
- 4 oz flour
- cayenne pepper to taste
- salt to taste
Pickapeppa sauce (buy in a bottle or make your own):
- 1 medium tomato
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 sprig of fresh thyme
- 2 cup dark raisin
- ½ cup tomato paste
- ¼ cup ketchup
- ½ cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup mango pulp
- ¼ cup tamarind pulp
- ½ cup rice wine vinegar
- ½ half cup ginger juice (from pickle ginger)
- 2 scotch bonnet chili peppers
- ½ tsp clove powder
- ½ quart mineral water
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup honey
Start by making the choux paste:
- Add butter to water and boil.
- Add flour and mix. Take care not to form lumps.
- Remove from heat, season with nutmeg and a pinch of cayenne pepper.
- Add the eggs and mix with the gruyere cheese.
Prepare some conch:
- Clean and tenderize the conch.
- Marinate with some hand-crushed scotch bonnet peppers, lemon and lime rind, the white part of the scallion, lime juice and crushed cilantro stem. Allow to marinate for two hours.
- Dice the conch and chop the onion, red pepper, green pepper and pureed scotch bonnet pepper. Finely chop all the herbs.
- Combine all the ingredients with choux paste, finish with cornstarch if necessary. Shape the mixture into small balls and deep fry in medium-hot oil until crisp and golden-brown. (Make sure not to overcook!)
- Say “pickapeppa” a few times. It’s fun, right?
- Heat your saucepan and add oil. Lightly sauté the onion and garlic.
- Top burger with crispy onion ring, BBQ sauce, sliced onions, tomato and lettuce.
- Add tomatoes, thyme, scotch bonnet peppers and raisins. Cook for a few minutes.
- Simmer for an hour, remove from the heat and blend.
- Place back on heat, cook further and then strain.
Join the discussion
Will you try your hand at any of these tropical dishes?