Recipe: Carnival Cruise Line’s Chicken Parmigiana and Viking River Cruises’ Mississippi Sunset
Cheese Louise - May is American Cheese Month! To celebrate, we thought it would be a gouda idea to share the delicious recipe for Carnival’s Chicken Parmigiana served at Cucina del Capitano. This sharp dish pairs the gooey-goodness of whole mozzarella and parmesan cheese. It pairs great with Viking River Cruises’ Mississippi Sunset, a citrusy vodka-based cocktail. We hope you have a grate meal!
Chicken Parmigiana - Carnival Cruise Line
- 10 Chicken breasts
- 2 oz Olive oil
- 5 Garlic cloves
- 2 lb Panko bread crumbs
- 6 Eggs
- 6 oz Flour
- 0.5 lb Whole mozzarella
- 1 Can of San Marzano tomato sauce
- 5 Garlic cloves, sliced
- 4 oz Olive oil
- Salt (to taste)
- Crushed red pepper (to taste)
- ¼ Fresh basil
- Fried basil for garnish
- 3½ oz Parmesan cheese
- 4½ oz Cubed butter
- 5⅓ oz High-gluten flour
- Salt (to taste)
- In a hot saucepan oiled up with olive oil, sauté the garlic, the crushed red pepper, and the San Marzano tomatoes. Stir continuously.
- Cook for 30 minutes and finish with salt, pepper, and more olive oil (plus a little sugar if you’d like). The sauce should be very light in consistency.
Make Parmesan Crumbles:
- Grab a blender and add grated parmesan cheese, butter, high-gluten flour and salt.
- Blend well, then pass through a fine sieve.
- Scatter the mixture across a baking tray and bake for 240°F for 8 minutes, or until crisp and light golden-brown in color. When cold, break it into crumbles and store in an airtight container.
- Trim and clean the chicken breast. Cover it so it doesn’t squirt, then pound it with a steak hammer (or meat flattener) until it’s pretty flat. Just make sure the overall shape is retained.
- Beat the eggs, dip the chicken in there, and then cover the chicken with panko bread crumbs.
- Shallow-fry the chicken in olive oil along with a spring of rosemary and hand-crushed garlic until chicken is cooked. (You’ll know when it’s a nice golden color on all sides.)
Bring It All Together:
- Top the cooked meat with tomato sauce. (Reserve some sauce for later.)
- Place thin slices of mozzarella cheese atop the sauce.
- Gratinate (look it up!) the assembled chicken in a salamander (in this case, we’re talking about the stove) until the cheese melts.
- After removing from the salamander, sprinkle with chopped parsley and chili flakes.
- Pour more tomato sauce onto a plate and place the assembled chicken atop the sauce.
Mississippi Sunset - Viking River Cruises
- 1 oz (29½ ml) Citrus vodka
- ½ oz (14¾ ml) Orange liqueur
- ½ oz (14¾ ml) Strawberry liqueur
- 2 oz (59 ml) Sweet-and-sour mix
- ½ tsp (2½ ml) Lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 Lemon wedge for garnish
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice halfway
- Add all ingredients
- Shake and strain over a chilled cocktail glass
- Garnish with one lemon wedge
Join the discussion
What's your favorite cheese?