Recipe: Azamara’s Roasted Beet & Arugula Salad & Disney Cruise Line’s Bloody Mary from Palo
Time to get your green on in celebration of October's Vegetarian Month! Dig into one of Azamara’s most popular dishes, the Roasted Beet & Arugula Salad with its crunchy pecans, tangy basil oil, and smooth butternut squash and carrot puree. Want to enjoy a veggie-forward cocktail while chef-ing it up? Whip up a flavorful Palo Bloody Mary featured on all four of Disney Cruise Line’s ships. You’re sure to meet your veggie quota for the day with our two featured Tasty Tuesday recipes.
Roasted Beet & Arugula Salad – Azamara Cruise Line
- 2 medium-sized pieces of butternut squash, seeded and cubed
- 2 large carrots, cubed
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- Salt and pepper
- 5 pieces of beets, roasted and peeled
- 10 white grapes, pitted, skin off
- 40 pecan halves
- 30 pieces of thinly sliced red radish
- 1 cup of ricotta cheese
- 1 large carrot, spiraled
- Roasted butternut squash seeds
- 13.5 oz olive oil
- 13.5 oz vegetable oil
- Two tablespoons of Dijon mustard
- 6.75 oz white wine vinegar
- 1 oz of parsley, chives, chervil and tarragon, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- A pinch of oregano
- Salt and pepper
- Basil oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Blanch carrots in boiling water until soft, and set aside.
- Remove the seeds from squash and keep aside.
- Place squash in a large shallow baking dish. Drizzle with butter, and toss to coat. Cover with parchment-lined foil. Transfer to oven, and cook for 25 to 30 minutes, until tender.
- Meanwhile, clean seeds and transfer them to a small baking sheet. Bake until dried out. When dried, cook in one tablespoon of olive oil in a medium skillet until golden. Season seeds with salt and pepper. Transfer to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, and let stand until cool.
- Use an immersion blender or work in batches using a blender to puree the squash and carrots until smooth. Stir in honey, salt and nutmeg. Transfer to a serving bowl, set aside and keep cool.
- Place the washed beets on a baking tray and bake at 320 degrees F until cooked.
- Set aside to cool, and then remove the skin.
- Cut the beets into quarters and season with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Dressing preparation:
- Put the Dijon mustard in a bowl with salt, pepper and garlic.
- Add the vinegar, olive oil and vegetable oil. Stir slowly.
- Add the fresh herbs and oregano.
- Add a little sugar when needed.
To finish the plate:
- Place the beets and greens on the plate. Add dollops of puree and ricotta cheese. Add grapes and garnish puree with radish slices. Garnish with pecans, seeds and carrot spirals. Drizzle with French dressing, then basil oil. Serve immediately.
- Place all ingredients as per picture, ready to serve.
Palo Bloody Mary – Disney Cruise Line
- 1.5 oz radish-infused Belvedere vodka
- 3 oz yellow tomato juice
- 4 oz fresh heirloom tomato juice
- 2 oz beet root juice
- Splash of fresh ginger juice
- Splash of yuzu juice
- Pinch of Hawaiian sea salt
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Dash of whisky Worcestershire sauce
- Green bean, bacon and horseradish crisp
- Red bell pepper and horseradish crisp
- Cucumber tomato strip
- Dried tomato basil chip
- Sprig of rosemary
- Infuse the vodka with radish. Do not use horseradish, as it will overpower the drink.
- Blend or muddle heirloom tomatoes. Remove the skin first if you prefer.
- Prepare a glass full with ice, and add yellow tomato juice, heirloom tomato juice and vodka.
- Muddle fresh ginger root, and strain juice into glass.
- Add a pinch of Hawaiian sea salt and a pinch of cayenne pepper.
- Add a splash of yuzu juice and whiskey Worcestershire sauce.
- Once all ingredients are in the glass, stir gently to blend the drink.
- Garnish for the finishing touch.
Join the discussion
What's your favorite cruise line recipe?