Voyager of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Telling It Like It Is

Sail Date: March 01, 2010

I discovered the pleasures of cruising late in life, but I have taken three in the last eight months, and I look forward to several more. None, however, will be on Royal Caribbean. My Western Caribbean cruise last week was a disappointment which I will not repeat.

On the positive side, I must say that the food and service in the Carmen dining room and in the Windjammer caf were very good. Not so in Portofino. This was the worst food of the trip, served in an atmosphere of faux sophistication (the menu was printed in Italian with English translations so small they were barely legiblemade more difficult by its appearance on a non contrasting background.)

When we checked into our stateroom (9666) I was surprised that there were no pool robes, and as we were soon to learn, if you want a pool towel, you must post what amounts to a $20 deposit. There were no toiletry containers (shampoo, conditioner, body lotion) in the bathroom. (There was, however, a combination shampoo/conditioner dispenser in the shower, No lotion.)

But my principal complaint against Royal Caribbean is the unending hustle. I don't mind a certain level of sales effort, but these people carry it to unacceptable extremes. They seem determined to exploit every opportunity sell somethinganythingto a captive universe.

I was particularly offended by the policy prohibiting my from bringing wine on board, from home or from a port of call, to enjoy in my stateroomnot in a dining room, in my stateroom. If you buy it from them, thats okay. One can only infer that their position is, You dont drink wine on our boat unless we make a profit on it.

Evening stage entertainment was decidedly substandard. The singers and dancers were pretty good, but the productions were poorly conceived. And the family (?) trying to impersonate celebrities were amateurish and much too loud.

Finally, I am a senior citizen, and I think it is not appropriate for servers and attendants to address me by my first name unless they are invited to do so.

I am not so naive as to expect what I have said here to make one particle of difference to Royal Caribbean. They have established a culture which apparently works for them. But their style is not my style.

I'm sure you will not put this review on your website, but there are other ways to post such comments on the internet.

James Richards

Pros: Food and service (except Portofino)

Cons: See below

Recommends Voyager of the Seas? No.

Except Portofino