Viking Mandalay Cruise Review to Other (Asia/Africa/Middle East)

Contributor Level: Third Mate

Cruise was nice, problems during the booking and with transfers. Viking didn't respond to my complaints.

Sail Date: January 29, 2014

I have sailed on Viking several times and have been pleased with them in the past.  This trip was very different and I feel that Viking misrepresented the trip.

When I booked the trip, I was told that there was no custom airfaire.  The routing of flights had me stopping serveral times away.  I called twice asking if we could look into other flights and I was told no.  I commented on both calls that at least I was going to make a lot of Frequent Flyer Points.  It was only after I took the trip that I learned the flights we were put on didn't earn any frequent flyer miles.

On our way over, Viking had booked day use rooms in Singapore's airport.  When we arrived, we were told Viking had not secured funding for the rooms and I had to pay.

Although I had paid for transfers, our Viking Rep took us to the airport only to learn that the flight we were on had been cancelled and although Viking had been notified, the "Bangkok Office" had not been notified.  I had to spend another night in Bangkok.  Viking did not put us up, Singapore Airlines did.

Although Viking said there was internet available, the internet was available on the sundeck - a tablet hotspot connected via cellular service.  With 53 people on board with phones and iPads, the talk on the sundesk was constantly, "Is anyone getting internet".  A shared cellular connection for 53 people is hardly internet on-board.  Making matters worst, on 2 occassions, I discovered that the Viking River account had run out of funding preventing any internet connection.

The cruise itself went well.  The crew was friendly and warm, the sights were inteteresting and the food was good.  Unforutnatly, I feel that Viking deceived me when it came to the airfare, had I known what I know now, I would have never let them book the airfare. When I emailed them my complaints, the didn't repond at all.  I personally won't use Viking again.