Queen Mary 2 Cruise Review to Transatlantic

QM2...Review of Q-1 and Q-2 staterooms

Sail Date: September 03, 2013

Room Type: Suite

Cabin: 9069

I have been a regular on this ship for the last few years.   Here are some observations:

1. I always stay in Q-1 or Q2 staterooms (duplexes) in the stern.  However, I will not again.  There are a few

problems with this area of the ship.

Firstly, there is constant noise from the deck above (deck 11.)  It is the Queen's Grill Lounge area.

All day and evening, you can hear lounge chairs being moved around, footsteps, etc.  Also, the

deck is power washed in the wee hours.  This is a major disturbance.  There is no soundproofing

between deck 11 and the ceiling of deck 10.  I have advised this to Cunard on numerous trip

surveys and nothing has even been done about it.  I would think the revenue from one trip in

this area (5 duplex staterooms) would pay for this refurbishing.

Secondly, the balconies are mostly over the smoking area below on deck 8.  So if you go onto the balcony,

most times there is cigarette smoke rising up.  Also, there is smoke and particles emanating from the incinerator smoke stacks above the balcony.

Finally, the refrigerator is 'stocked' with cheap champagne and beer.  If you want a decent bottle of wine, you must pay for it.  I found this quite insulting, as my bills have always run into the 10s to 50s thousands of dollars for longer trips.

The butler and staff are the only saving grace.  Basically, their challenge is to make up for all the deficiencies that Cunard imposes on its passengers.  They are underpaid, overworked, but still, service with a smile.

It would appear the housekeeping (and other staff) are exploited by Cunard (i.e. Carnival) based on everything I was told.  Low pay, long hours, charged for use of internet, and limited advancement.

The Queens Grill dining area is another story.  I found the food and service excellent. However, the noise level is very high for an 'intimate' dining room.  I usually get there right at opening or at closing to avoid alot of loud tables.  If my surrounding tables are extremely noisy, I go up to the Todd English restaurant for some peace and quiet.

Don't reserve Q-1 or Q-2 staterooms in the stern as they have a number of issues