Norwegian Star Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

I probably won't cruise Norwegian again.

Sail Date: December 04, 2011

Note to purchasers: Do NOT buy this cruise from if you are purchasing through for the free shore excursion. The free shore excursion is not through Norwegian but through an outside company. Also, my free excursion was not given to me, so watch out. You are better to go with the onboard credit.

Norwegian provided a lot of fun and activities with a very kind staff that made this cruise good. What it lacked for an excellent or very good rating was the quality and taste of the food that was part of the package. It was not a fine dining experience. Another issue was we felt that everything that was a part of the cruise was an extra charge and really would come across tacky. For example, we were made aware of the DVD of the towel animals was available for purchase. Boo! At the end, I did not think I got a good deal for the money (our onboard bill was over $1000). Overall, I did feel like I had a good time for the price. The excursions were overpriced, and the tour guides and local people were obviously underpaid. At least they made that clear in Belize with the constant requests for tips. I hope that the port in Roatan is a work in progress for Norwegian. For example, the surrounding neighborhood was clearly suffering in poverty, and obviously not benefiting from the tourism, at least this December 2011. I hope for Norwegian, that as they go forward with their ports and excursions, that they are mindful to the culture and fair rates that could help these communities develop. I think that would be a great investment in Norwegians future because I left that port in Roatan thinking poorly towards Norwegian. I also didn't like how the excursions were promoted by being "guaranteed not to be left behind". That scare tactic worked for the first two ports. Then we opted, after being very disappointed with the Norwegian excursions, to adventure on our own. This really turned our vacation around for us and felt like our money was going to the people of the country and the excitement and fun of being in another country began. If I do another Norwegian cruise, I will absolutely not purchase Norwegian excursions.

Pros: staff, shows, variety of things to do, freestyle dining

Cons: over charges, shore excursions, poor food quality,

Recommends Norwegian Star? Yes!

There is only one pool. After traveling on Celebrity, I did expect more with regards to the overall quality of the ship.
The free style dining was great, but the overall food quality was only ok (you do NOT get a fine dining experience).
Small but cute. The first time we went to our state room someone else's stuff was in the shower.
Awesome!
I loved the shows! We did attend a number of the seminars but they were always trying to sell us something ($200 for shoe inserts, $700 for a detox, etc.)