Norwegian Star Cruise Review to Mexico

Good Value Comes at a Price

Sail Date: February 01, 2010

The Norwegian Star is a well-designed, clean, tightly run ship. The cabins are remarkably comfortable for their size, there are food options for virtually every palate, entertainment on the ship was mediocre, but heck, I took this cruise for a taste of interesting ports, not for the shows.

My biggest disappointment was the unvarying feeling that I was prey on-board for NCL to squeeze for another dollar. There is *constant* pressure to buy more on the ship. If youd like a soda, that will be $2 extra, a drink $8. Want a glass of orange juice? Go get it yourself. Loose a beach towel? That will be $25. What a tour of the ship? That will cost you. There is pressure to buy shore excursions through NCL, to buy jewelry, art, to buy bingo tickets, casino chips, spa treatments. I even received an advertisement in my room saying I should buy a DVD on how fold towels!

Pros: The ports of call.

Cons: Being Nickled & Dimed

Recommends Norwegian Star? Yes!

Adjust your expectations and you will be satisfied. The performers I saw were fine. Don't go expecting professional quality entertainment. I am not a fan of bingo or booze-inspired games. I came for the views, destinations, to spend time with my wife, and enjoy the serenity of the sea. I was most content playing backgammon and cribbage with my honey. The ship's cinema had a good selection of films.
The Norwegian Star is over 10 years old, but well laid-out and maintained. I was concerned about feeling crowded with 2,200 passengers and an additional 1,000 crew, but surprisingly I was able to find parties when I wanted and peace when I wanted. There are plenty of quiet nooks and crannies for those who enjoy the serenity of watching the sea drift by.
The rooms are squeaky clean and well-maintained. Housekeeping tidies each room twice a day. It is remarkable how much space can be created in 150 sq ft. My wife and I were comfortable in these close quarters for a week and could have sailed longer. However, we have healthy body weights. Obese individuals may have some difficultly negotiating the quarters.
In my opinion, the ship is over-staffed. However, there is always some cheery crew member at hand to help with any request.
Like most everything at NCL, there are various price points on NCL cruises. There are three main dining options on the Norwegian Star:
1. The "Market Cafe" and other small buffets. An all-you-can-eat milieu, replete with din and poor manners one would expect from any mob of Americans. The cost nosh at buffet-style eateries are included with your ticket cost.
2. A couple of very pleasant up-scale restaurants with high-end quality food choices, terrific service, and professional chefs. The Stars restaurants Aqua and Versailles were a culinary treat. There is no additional cost of eating at these however, there may be a modest 10-min wait to be seated.
3. Then premium on-board restaurants, these are fine dining establishments which require reservations and charge a surcharges of $10 to $50 per person depending on the night and meal requested.