Monarch of the Seas (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Been there, done that!

Sail Date: September 26, 2011

Had this been our first cruise we probably would never book another. It started badly with a 3 hour wait to board, then we watched latecomers board before us, which upset many people. Our cabin was horrible and we were horrified to find BUNK BEDS in it. On the positive side, the food was excellent, the staff are lovely people, the ship itself is beautiful and has everything one could want. IF WE EVER CRUISE AGAIN we will be more careful about the cabin choice.

Pros: The ship's staff

Cons: Our cabin

Recommends Monarch of the Seas (RETIRED)? Yes!

We don't participate much in on-board entertainment but did enjoy the one show we saw/very colourful, very energetic dancers, singers had beautiful voices. Also, a "street entertainer" Richard Mendez, playing a fantastic violin, absolutely beautiful. Wish we could have seen more of him
We hated our cabin, and don't feel it should be called a "Stateroom" It had bunk beds, so I could not sleep fearing that huge object would fall on me in the night. We could not watch tv because it was so arranged that the tv was behind us, or if we changed round we could see the tv but there was no headboard to lean against. There were no complimentary toiletries (even cheap hotels provide complimentary toiletries!) and the toilet broke 3 days out of the 4 forcing us to wander the ship at 3am looking for a functioning toilet. Our neighbours were very loud, either roaring (him) or crying (her) Very unpleasant. I should have been more careful booking, but didn't realize Royal Caribbean had such poor quality accommodation, I thought only Carnival were that cheap!
Only problem is choosing where to eat. Buffet was great, offering everything from fruits, salads, vegetarian dishes, to many different entrees every day, yummy desserts...very accessible, no long lines (I hate lines for food!) and comfortable seating. Restaurant menus were a little disappointing. I like to try something new each trip and there was nothing special this time, although I did enjoy the fruit soups.
Wonderful, friendly, helpful, welcoming, remembered our names, which we found amazing considering the thousands of passengers they saw each day. We cannot say enough about the staff, they are all lovely!
The ship has everything a small city has, and is kept spotlessly clean and shiny by a devoted staff. The bathrooms are always clean, fresh-smelling, never run out of soap, towels etc. The restaurant staff keep the tables cleared within seconds of someone leaving. Excellent