Monarch of the Seas (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Mexico

A bad experience

Sail Date: May 15, 2006

Getting on the ship was fast and efficient, I have cruised with Holland America before and this ship and its staff was a huge dissappointment.The staterooms are very small and shabby, our room steward was not good, the ice tongs had dried up lettuce on them and I kept putting them out so he could change them and he just kept putting them back dirty.After the second day he never even brought us ice so... The Captains announcements could not be heard in the room so on the time in Catalina we missed our shore excursion because we didnt hear them call for us. We were 2 hours late getting into San Diego so they cancelled our shore excursion that day, I did get a refund but it was very dissappointing. There are too many passengers on that ship to have only 8 elevators in the whole ship and they move too slow. The public restrooms on the ship are horrible, dirty and very rundown. It was an overall bad experience and I would never sail with Royal Carribian again.

Pros: The food was good

Cons: too many people with not enough really slow elevators

Beds were so uncomfortable that I had a backache the whole time also very small room and not pleasing to look at.
As I stated before dining room staff was excellent, but the other staff members onboard were not friendly, or helpful. Quite a letdown from a Holland America cruise where the staff will bend over backwords to do anything you ask.
The food was surprisingly good considering the poor look of the ship overall, Our dining room waitress and asst waitress were excellent and very friendly
The ships entertainment with their own staff was not good, too much like a high school production and way too loud, but the nights they had comediens was very good.
San Diego, California
Only got to go shopping since we were 2 hours late getting there and they cancelled our tour to the Wild Animal Park
Catalina Island, California
Not at all impressed, its changed too much in the last twenty years, its dirty and overcrowded.