Insignia Cruise Review to Europe - Western Mediterranean

Third Mate

Almost a perfect cruise

Sail Date: October 01, 2006

We booked a concierge level balcony stateroom which was lovely. The cabin steward couldn't have been nicer, and my husband and I found the staff to be generally accommodating. We sailed the Meditteranean, and the ports and shore excursions were good (although the excursions were pricey). The restaurant choices were great, and the open seating policy in the dining room is a pleasure. This was our second time on Oceania, with both of our cruises offering free air. Both returns were botched by missed connections and a day's delay in returning home. However, the return from Rome via Paris was a disaster because the connection in Paris was overbooked. We were put up in a hotel that can only be described as a sewer, and I sat in the lobby all night. Also, when we disembarked the ship, my husband's suitcase was broken, obviously mishandled by the baggage crew. The Insignia staff were no help and offered no assistance. What was a wonderful cruise ended badly. Our prior cruise through the Panama Canal was wonderful also, but once again, the trip home took 2 days and was exhausting because of missed connections. When we returned home, I wrote to Oceania not expecting anything, but hoping for at least an acknowledgment and maybe an apology. I received a curt letter that they were not responsible for anything that happened. I disagree because the cruise line did handle the air and advertise this "perk" extensively. We will go back to sailing with Silverseas, Windstar and Celebrity. If we do sail with Oceania, will book our own return travel and suggest this to others.

Pros: Beautiful ship, attentive staff, ambiance, excellent dining options, great itinerary

Cons: You get what you pay for with

Recommends Insignia? Yes!