Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review to Canada, New England, New York

Third Mate

Loved the ship; Loved the itinerary!

Sail Date: August 31, 2013

Departed from Jersey.  What a nightmare.  Felt like cattle being herded into a building.  No AC in the area just hot fans running. Not enough seating and even if I had a seat, would have given it up to one of the (elder) others because it seemed like there was no organization.   I think someone said this port was renovating so hopefully all that changed.    That was the only negative.

All the ports were wonderful - even on rain days.  The ship .. although needing an "updo" .. comfortable.  All the common areas were always clean and neat.  We had an outside cabin and since it was raining at some point almost daily, glad we didn't do a balcony because we would not have been able to enjoy sitting out there.   Room steward was fantastic.   We were at the end of a hallway so we had only one cabin right next to us.  At the end though were the larger cabins along the back.  Since the cruise itself was more of an older crowd, there was not any noise in the hallways.

I never can really comment on food on a ship any longer because I love to cook so for me that was more of a learning process for me.  Spices they used with different foods, etc.  The food overall was good though.  We did not take advantage of the specialty restaurants.  And since the high sodium in the foods cause me to swell up .. I tend to stick with food items that are less likely to require being pre-salted.   I do want to comment, and this isn't to be mean in any way, but the first night in the dining room, there were a ton of the little electric carts lined up along the walls of the dining room.  Reminded us of going to a go kart track and waiting to climb into one to take off !    I wish I would have snapped a picture.

We always enjoy The Quest show and although similar as other ships, basic concept and still always very funny.  But you do need to keep a very open mind.  We've seen some hysterical things happen during those shows.   We always see whatever comedian or special guest may be on a ship.  This time we did not see all the nightly shows.  There are times we just needed quiet time and would people watch.  That is always fun.

Cruise Photos

Needed freshening up but overall pretty ship
Always love Bingo, comics, The Quest, music in the various venues/bars