Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review to Bermuda

Third Mate

Very relaxing

Sail Date: October 20, 2013

The ship is beautiful and most of the crew is fabulous. The itinerary was awesome - 2-1/2 days at sea and three days on Bermuda was awesome.  Kudos to RCI for this itinerary.  Our cabin steward was second to none.  He was fabulous!

Having cruised on Carnival and NCL previously, I had expected RCI to be a step above and it just wasn't.  From what I had heard, RCI was worth the extra $$.

The food in the Windjammer was adequate, but with few exceptions, pretty much the same every day.  The food in the dining room was good, but not superb and I found having a section of food you can order in the dining room for an extra charge a bit overdone since they have restaurants on board you pay extra for. Keep the extra charge food there.  Having to pay for fresh squeezed orange juice was a bit much as well, especially since no one said anything about paying for it before you were asked if you wanted it.  Concentrate was included, but fresh squeezed was a charge.  It seemed like everywhere you turned there was something else they want you to pay for, such as at the Cafe Promenade - snacks, light food, coffee, etc, but within the Cafe is Starbucks and Ben and Jerry's, both at a cost.

I did find, however, if you wanted to have an adult beverage the prices were pretty comparable to being on land.  That was a pleasant surprise

The boarding process leaves something to be desired. No one at the gangway to meet you and give instruction.  The waiting areas for disembarkation was disorganized and lacked seating for many people.  I know they are in the business of making money, but keep the "money making" propositions off to the side - let the passengers that have come on board to relax be able to do that without having someone selling something every time you turn around.  I also found someone yelling "Washy, Washy" everytime we entered the Windjammer to be quite annoying.  Overall, it was probably the most relaxing vacation we've ever had, but I credit the itinerary for that.  RCI.... your ship was gorgeous, but your service was not at all what we expected.

nicely maintained
Good, not great
Most were good
Cape Liberty (Bayonne), New Jersey
Disorganized and needs to be updated

Use the outside deck to walk from end to end - less people and a gorgeous view