Crystal Symphony Cruise Review to Canada, New England, New York

Second Mate

never will we cruise again on Crystal Cruises

Sail Date: September 13, 2015

You have gotten a detailed report and not responded at all. My husband got ill on the cruise and I  was told there were no measures I could take to  protect myself. By Sunday morning as we left the boat (a 3 hour ordeal due to the marathon in town...maybe far better planning needed here!) I was ill and we both were deathly ill. We slept in the hotel room for 36 hours in Montreal too ill to know how sick we even were....tried to go to dinner (I passed out in the floor). Only  with the help of the concierge  at the hotel and wheelchairs and help at every turn did we  get out of Montreal and back home (TN) only to be admitted to the hospital (me) and my husband told to stay home due to his severe weakness, illness.We are still recovering and have had to have our grown sons come from out of state to help us due to how sick we have been, our dogs were with the pet sitter for 1 month. etc. It has been dreadful. The next time you allow and have 50 unsupervised children on a cruise along with international  nannies with no authority and parents who are totally absent...please have your ship crew step in. They were asked repeatedly and did nothing. These kids were crawling under tables, all over the floor then  grabbing food others would eat at functions like the high tea event, running up and down corridors at 2:30 am, the nannies were washing 1 shoe of these kids  at  a time in the washers (a major contaminate) with NO BLEACH IN BETWEEN WASHINGS and no bleach even available. We would NEVER have booked this cruise and spent thousands of dollars for this. This is horrendous to have paying customers be out thousands to put up with this and pay thousands more to be so ill. Horns blowing in the formal dining area literally at 10:30 at night by these kids (the staff told me it was Mexican Independence Day as if it made it ok!). The kids were in bars with patrons in them playing on floors, etc. (are kids even allowed in bars? To my knowledge they are not). They were throwing balloons from the bistro area down to the floor below and running at a high rate of speed to get the balloons and try to hit them back up, etc. It is a wonder a paying customer did not break a hip or worse. They were throwing balloons all across the piano bar area while the pianist tried to perform. Paying cruise passengers got up and left.

There were NO infection control procedures in place. We were only offered towels or washcloths. My husband was in the stateroom for days and quite ill. The MD diagnosed him as having a "common cold" though he is an MD and I am a nurse with many years experience and advanced degrees and corrected her she wrote this anyway but then covered herself advising consultation with an MD at every turn as soon as we got off the ship!He had anything  but a "cold". I got ill from him and by the time I was admitted to the hospital ASAP upon return home. I had a temp of 103 and was totally dehydrated. This entire situation is more than appalling. I am told that even Carnival cruises has definitive quarantine and cleaning procedures. I was told "NOTHING" in answer to my question as to what quarantine procedures were available on Crystal Cruises.

We have been so very ill and this cruise was something we could not even enjoy and then got no help when help was sought and needed. This business of 50 unruly kids crawling all over floors, etc. etc. is appalling and my guess as to how the illness was transmitted. I have not even had the sniffles in 10-12 years and to have been debilitated to this extreme tells me that the virus picked up on the ship was not something my immune system had ever been exposed to and had not resistance to. Appalling situation. No follow up by the cruise line.