Carnival Triumph Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Obnoxious, rude security worker

Sail Date: June 25, 2016

If I had allowed the heinous experience of getting through security determine our sailing on this cruise, my family and I would have made our way back to the parking garage immediately.  The Port of New Orleans has a crew of cork sniffers, one in particular, who humiliate cruisers if their bottles of wine do not meet their standards. My husband and I dabble in winemaking (yes, we do that in Louisiana), and had brought a couple of bottles of our own wine. One particularly rude woman in security actually tore off the wrapper from the top and started sniffing the cork, yelling “Bourbon, this is bourbon!” in front of everybody in security, passengers and Carnival team members alike. When I tried to explain that it was white muscadine wine, she said condescendingly, “Lady, I have a cork screw, I’ll open it and we’ll just see what it is.” At that point, my husband and my family were completely mortified. I suppose we should have asked for a supervisor at that exact moment. Or maybe we should have just asked for our wine back and left. It was THAT bad. We were all upset for the rest of the day, not because our wine had been confiscated and wasted, but because we, as customers and patrons of Carnival, had been treated in such a demeaning, deplorable manner simply going through security.

It is a crying shame that someone of her caliber and loathsome distaste can overshadow an opinion regarding an entire vacation experience. Once we were on the ship, the crew could not have been happier, kinder, or more respectful and pleasant. BUT, because of that one encounter, particularly the obnoxiously offensive “cork sniffer” in security at the Port of New Orleans, we will not board another Carnival Cruise.

Horrible, horrible experience
Ship staff was excellent, security in New Orleans for embarkation was horrible

Do not bring wine that you have made yourself. It will be taken by the cork sniffers in security.