Carnival Breeze Cruise Review to Caribbean - Southern

Third Mate

Great 30th Birthday Aboard Carnival Breeze!

Sail Date: January 16, 2016

This was my first Carnival cruise, and for my 30th birthday a few friends and I decided to do the 6-night western Caribbean itinerary which stopped at Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman and Cozumel.

The Breeze is a great ship. She's now 4 years old but in amazing shape. I have heard stories about the over-the-top decor on Carnival ships, but Breeze's decor is wonderful. Simple, modern with a touch of sophistication. Having been on mostly larger ships before this, I thought the size of Breeze was just right. It's big enough to fit lots of different restaurants and venues but not so big that you feel like you don't have time to see everything.

Food on the Breeze was great! From the main dining room to the steakhouse to the lido deck offerings like Guy's Burgers and Blue Iguana mexican food, I thought everything was delicious and I would not hesitate to have any of it again. For my birthday we were also fortunate enough to experience the Chef's Table. The whole experience from beginning to end was fabulous and it was the perfect way to mark a special occasion. The table is right in the middle of one of the main kitchens (between the main dining rooms) and the service was impeccable. We also learned how to make that famous Chocolate Melting Cake!

Our stateroom on the Breeze was a Cove Balcony (Deck 2). I firmly believe that these cabins are the ship's hidden gem. The rates are lesser than that of a "normal" balcony stateroom, but the location and the VIEW are so much better. The view from almost all of the traditional balconies on the Breeze look straight down onto the Deck 5 lanai, so you do not have a view of the water looking straight down. Cove balconies are located underneath that deck as well as the lifeboats, so your view straight down is into the water. The proximity to the water is just magical. If you cruise to feel connected to the sea and to enjoy the breathtaking views, a cove balcony is for you!

My philosophy when it comes to cruising is that there are so many ships out there to try it would take something truly exceptional for me to want to go back on the same ship twice. With Breeze, I would at least consider doing another cruise!

Cruise Photos

Embarkation, even though we got there early, was a bit of a zoo. We have experienced much better-organized embarkation processes in the past.
Ocho Rios was a new one for us and we love Cozumel, but I would love to see some western Caribbean itineraries that didn't all hit the same notes (Jamaica, Caymans, Cozumel...).
We felt that the entertainment (stage shows) offered on Breeze were subpar to those we've seen on Royal Caribbean.
Staff were excellent. Truly happy people who seemed to want everyone to be having the best time possible on their vacation.
Food was good to very good. Simply cannot beat the selection of complimentary food options available on Breeze.

Best spot for sail-away is a "secret" public area right above the bridge. Go to the fwd elevators & go to Deck 9. Walk all the way fwd on the port side and you will find a door out to a "secret" public space on the front of the ship. Since it is over the bridge you can go out on the bridge wings.