Recipe: Viking River Cruises' Fruit Gratin with Old Rum and Celebrity Cruises’ Vanilla High Voltage
August 16 is National Rum Day, and if you are looking for a belated way to celebrate, we recommend Viking River Cruise’s Fruit Gratin with Old Rum dessert. The special ingredient is Caribbean-aged rum which is extra sweet due to being aged in oak barrels. We recommend serving this dish ala mode with a scoop of coconut sorbet. After the party, it’s the after-party, and that is when you’ll want to kick it up a notch with the Vanilla High Voltage, a brand-new cocktail that can be found in Celebrity Cruises’ Eden.
Fruit Gratin with Old Rum – Viking River Cruises
(Makes 6 Servings)
- 2 large egg yolks
- ½ C heavy cream
- 1 C half and half
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ C sugar
- ¼ C cornstarch
- 6 large egg whites
- 1½ C pineapple, diced
- 1½ C papaya, diced
- 1 banana, diced
- 1 mango, diced
- 4 T old rum
- 2 T light brown sugar
- Whisk yolks in a small bowl; set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium, heat cream, half and half and vanilla until hot but not boiling; slowly pour about a quarter of cream mixture into yolks, whisking constantly, then pour the yolk and cream mixture back into remaining cream in saucepan, whisking to combine.
- Whisk in sugar and cornstarch, stirring constantly until mixture thickens, about 4 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl; cover surface directly with plastic wrap and cool at least 10 minutes.
- Beat egg whites in a medium bowl until very stiff; then fold in cooled cream mixture.
- Preheat oven to 450°F (232°C), butter 6 shallow ovenproof dishes or a 9x11-inch baking dish and set aside.
- Combine fruit, rum and brown sugar; divide among dessert dishes.
- Spoon cream mixture generously over top and bake until golden brown, about 8 minutes.
Vanilla High Voltage – Celebrity Cruises
- 1.5 oz vanilla vodka
- 1 oz Kahlua
- 1 oz espresso coffee
- ¼ vanilla syrup
- ¼ baileys
- 3 coffee beans
- Add all the ingredients into a shaker.
- Add ice and shake it hard.
- Strain into a chilled glass.
- Garnish with three coffee beans.