Recipe: Uniworld’s Linguine Pasta With Zucchini & Vongole and Windstar’s Stranger Things
September 15 is National Linguine Day and what better way to celebrate this foodie holiday with an Italian gastronomic adventure direct from a Global Master Chef and Uniworld River Cruises’ Culinary Director, Bernhard Zorn. This simple, yet scrumptious Linguine Pasta With Zucchini & Vongole recipe will transport you to the Italian coast. Bring out the sweetness of the littleneck clams by pairing it with Windstar’s Stranger Things cocktail. There is nothing strange about adding Stella Artois to this cocktail which features floral and citrus notes by combining elderflower, strawberries, and cucumber with Tanqueray gin.
Linguine Pasta With Zucchini & Vongole – Uniworld River Cruise
- Large Garlic Clove Peeled
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- /4 cup pure olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds zucchini sliced into 1/8 inch thick rounds
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 3 1/2 to 4 lbs littleneck clams (washed)
- 1/4 tsp hot red pepper flakes
- 2 tbs chopped Italian parsley
- 12 ounces of linguini
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- Lightly crush the garlic cloves and heat with both oils in a large nonreactive sauté pan over medium heat until they start to sizzle.
- Adjust the heat so the garlic continues to cook evenly in the oil, releasing its own essential oils, and softens but does not brown for about 2 minutes.
- Add the zucchini and carefully blend with the oil. Season with salt.
- Continue to cook slowly, stirring from time to time, until the squash is completely softened and starts to break apart but does not brown for about 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let it rest in the oil for 2 hours.
- Pour into a fine-mesh strainer, reserving the zucchini and oil separately.
- Keep the same pan, without cleaning, to cook the clams.
- Heat the zucchini oil in the pan over medium heat until it starts to sizzle.
- Add the clams, cover the pan, and turn the heat to medium-high.
- Cook the clams, gently shaking the pan from time to time, until they start to open for 5 to 6 minutes. Cooking time will vary, depending on the size of the clams and the thickness of the shells.
- Add the reserved zucchini, hot pepper flakes, and parsley.
- Gently stir with the clams. Set aside.
- Boil the linguine in an abundant amount of salted water until done to taste.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta water before draining the linguine, adding a little of the pasta water so that the zucchini and pan liquid coat the pasta like a sauce.
- Transfer to a warm serving platter or individual pasta bowls.
- Start with the pasta, then top with the clams and zucchini.
- Serve immediately—with extra hot pepper flakes on the side.
Stranger Things Cocktail Recipe – Windstar Cruises
- 1 oz Tanquerey Gin
- 6 oz Stella Artois beer
- ½ oz Elderflower Liquor
- 2 cucumbers and 2 strawberries
- Muddle cucumber and strawberries, add gin and elderflower.
- Shake and pour over ice into a wine glass.
- Add the Stella.
- Garnish with a strawberry and cucumber.