Recipe: Princess Cruises’ Tomato Sauce and Viking Ocean Cruises' Sicilian Negroni
Feeling a little saucy? March is National Sauce Month and if you haven’t partaken in making a special sauce this month, try this Tomato Sauce classic from Princess Cruise Lines that is sure to be a hit as part of any Italian dish. Pair it with Viking Ocean Cruises Sicilian Negroni, a twist on the classic. Legend has it that this cocktail dates back to around 1920 in Florence, Italy.
Tomato Sauce – Princess Cruises
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 4 lb Roma tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 cups onions, diced small
- 2 tsp sugar
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh oregano, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp cold butter
- Heat the olive oil gently in a heavy stockpot.
- Sauté the onions and garlic until translucent.
- Increase the heat, add the chopped tomatoes and sugar. If the tomatoes are very sweet, omit the sugar from the recipe.
- Stir the tomatoes often to allow for evaporation and prevent burning, approx. 10 min.
- Add the fresh herbs and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook for three more minutes, stir in the cold butter.
- Set aside.
Sicilian Negroni – Viking Ocean Cruises
- ¾ oz (22 ml) high-quality citrusy gin, like Tanqueray Malacca
- ¾ oz (22 ml) Campari
- ¾ oz (22 ml) sweet vermouth, like Martini Rosso
- 1½ oz (44 ml) blood orange juice
- Dash of orange bitters
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass or cocktail shaker filled with ice.
- Stir ingredients or shake depending on how diluted you would like cocktail to be and strain into a chilled coupe, or over ice into a rocks glass.
- Garnish with an orange twist.
Prep time: 3 minutes. Makes 1 serving.