Recipe: Celebrity Cruises’ Solstice Inside Out Roll and Norwegian Cruise Line’s Wasabi Cocktail
Get your roll on for National Sushi Day on June 18th with Celebrity Cruises’ Solstice Roll. This Inside Out roll features crabmeat and pairs nicely with the Wasabi Cocktail from Norwegian Cruise Line. Don’t be fooled by its name, the Wasabi Cocktail has no heat and will actually cool you down.
Solstice Inside Out Roll – Celebrity Cruises
- 6 ounces lump crabmeat
- 1 teaspoon kewpie mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon fresh scallion (thinly sliced)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 sheets nori paper
- 6 jumbo shrimp tempura (cut in half, see recipe below)
- 3 fresh avocados (thinly sliced)
- 12 ounces sushi rice (see recipe below)
- 1 ounce gomatare dressing (see recipe below)
- 1 ounce eel sauce (see recipe below)
- 1 teaspoon white sesame seeds (toasted)
- 3 ounces tahini paste
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cane sugar (if not available, use raw sugar)
- 1/4 teaspoon togarashi flakes
- 1 ounce kewpie mayonnaise
- 3 ounces smoked eel trimmings
- 3 ounces mirin
- 6 ounces soy sauce
- 3 ounces cane sugar (if not available, use raw sugar)
- 2 cups sushi rice
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup mirin
- 4 tablespoons seasoned rice wine vinegar
For the dressing:
- Combine all the gomatare dressing ingredients; mix well and set aside.
For the eel sauce:
- Place all the sauce ingredients in a saucepan, and heat to simmering.
- Cook for 10 minutes; strain through a fine chinois, and place in a container or bottle.
For Solstice roll:
- Place the crab, kewpie mayonnaise, scallion and sesame oil in a bowl, and mix to combine. Refrigerate.
- Place 2 tablespoons of crab mixture on each premade sheet; add the cut tempura shrimp across the crabmeat from end to end, and roll.
- Then add the sliced avocado over the top of the rolled sushi and place a piece of plastic film over the roll.
- Using the mat, squeeze lightly to make the roll firm. (Slice the roll while the plastic wrap is still covering it.)
- Drizzle the gomatare dressing over the top.
- Add the eel sauce, and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds. Slice into 6 to 8 pieces.
For sushi rice:
- Place 2 cups of raw sushi rice in a rice steamer.
- Cover with 2 cups water, 1/2 cup mirin and 2 tablespoons of the rice wine vinegar; cook for about 20 minutes.
- Turn rice cooker off and let rice cool in cooker, cover with lid for about 30 minutes. Remove and place cooked rice in a large mixing bowl.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir rice and add 2 more tablespoons of rice wine vinegar, stir until well incorporated and let cool at room temperature.
Wasabi Cocktail – Norwegian Cruise Line
- 2 oz Sake
- 1 oz Lychee Liqueur
- .5 oz Lemon Juice
- 1 oz Orange Juice
- .5 oz Grenadine
- 1 Cherry
- 1 Lychee
- Add all ingredients, except grenadine, to a shaker with ice and shake well.
- Pour into a martini glass.
- Add grenadine to layer and garnish with cherry and lychee on a pick.