Recipe: Celebrity Cruises’ Pineapple and Rum Upside Down Cake & Viking River Cruises’ Rüdesheim Coffee
Elevate dessert and turn your world upside down (or right side up) with Celebrity Cruises’ Pineapple and Rum Upside Down Cake. When paired with Viking River Cruises’ Rüdesheim Coffee, spiked with brandy and topped with whipped cream, you will be transported to Europe. Created by one of the original celebrity chefs Hans Karl Adam of Germany, this warm beverage is named after Rüdesheim am Rhein, Germany, a storybook village.
Pineapple and Rum Upside Down Cake – Celebrity Cruises
Yields one 12-inch Cake; 12 portions
- ½ lb. butter cut in cubes
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 7 maraschino cherries
- 7 canned pineapple slices
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 10 tablespoons pineapple juice
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 8 oz pineapple juice (for soaking)
- 1 cup rum (for soaking)
- Melt the butter and brown sugar in a medium-sized pan. This becomes the caramel.
- Place in the sliced pineapple and cook until it becomes a slightly brown color.
- Place the cooked pineapple slices into a round cake pan with the bottom covered with aluminum foil.
- Then place the cherries into the pineapple hole.
- Pour caramel over the pineapple.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks and 1 cup of granulated sugar. Add the pineapple juice. Then, sift the flour with the baking powder. Add to the bowl and beat to combine.
- In a medium bowl, beat the remaining sugar together with the egg white and fold into the rest of the batter until well combined.
- Pour mixture into cake pan over the caramelized pineapple and bake in a 350-degree Fahrenheit oven for 20 to 24 minutes, or until the cake is golden browned and springs back when pressed lightly in the center with a fingertip.
- Transfer the cake to a rack.
- In a small bowl, combine the pineapple juice with the rum and then soak the cake with it.
- Allow the cake to cool to room temperature.
Rüdesheim Coffee – Viking River Cruises
- 3 sugar cubes
- 3 tsp. Asbach Uralt brandy, very warm
- 5 oz coffee
- Place sugar cubes in a coffee cup, pour brandy over the cube and light with a long match.
- Stir until all the sugar has melted.
- Allow to burn for 1 minute, then pour hot coffee into the cup and top with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.