First time cruiser - Westerdam to Alaska

Westerdam Cruise Review to Alaska - Inside Passage

Sail Date: May 01, 2013
Ship: Westerdam
The Westerdam was a very nice ship. I loved the ports of call. At Juneau\, Westerdam had the best dock\, right in front of the visitor center. The ship also had a good dock location in Ketchikan. It's important when there are 4 cruise ships in town. I spent most of my time on the top deck\, the crow's nest and the back deck.

The food in the dining room was top notch. Excellent service and delicious food. When busy\, the hostess ask if you mind sitting with other guests. We did that two nights in the row and met some great people. Yet\, we still got to have dinner by ourselves when we wanted to. It's nice to have the option. The food on the Lido deck was good and I felt that there was enough choices. However\, it does get crowded and since there are no food trays\, you are limited to carrying one plate of food and one drink. You basically have to go back to get dessert or other food items after you found a place to sit. The cruise also had 2 special dining event next to the Lido Pool. The food was good (BBQ salmon\, baked potatoes and BBQ chicken) but as expected\, the lines were pretty long.

Really enjoyed the trivia games everyday. I also was quite entertain by the illusionist show. I was dissapointed by the comedy show as the comedian's set was geared toward an older crowd. I didn't go see the rest of the shows (musicals). I also played bingo once but it was a bit too expensive for my taste. I also enjoyed the educational presentations the crew had on the different locations and the culture of Alaska.

The crew was very nice and helpful. You can tell employees take their job seriously and are always making sure you are pleased with your room or the service. The staff at the Lido is very efficient and keeps the area clean.

All the food is at the back of the ship\, while the entertainment portion is at the front which makes it easy to remember. The crow's nest was the best place to relax and enjoy the views and it wasn't too crowded. Crew staff is constantly cleaning the ship (wiping doors\, panels\, handrails\, vacuuming). Overall\, I felt that the size of the ship was adequate\, not too big and not too small.

My stateroom was 1002\, all the way at the front of the ship. Outside cabin with a window. Even though I was next to the Vista Lounge\, it remained pretty quiet. Even when I heard the performers singing\, the shows end around 11pm. I never heard people on top of me or next to me. If you need extra pillows or covers\, they are under the bed (we discovered them as we were disembarking).

Pros: Glacier Bay National Park

Cons: Night entertainment

Recommends Westerdam? Yes!