Westerdam Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Sail Date: November 01, 2006

Room Type: Suite

This was our 27th cruise and we have NEVER had a complaint before. HAL used to be one of our favorite lines but NO more.

Let me say that we are not total anti-smoking nuts. We find a balance can be found for all most of the time but not on this ship. HAL was not really interested in doing anything about this is was obvious. Being made ill (nosebleeds etc) should be more important than ha

We spoke to the front office 4 x wrote a letter to the captain and were basically told "the smokers were on vacation too" Well, do they need the run of the WHOLE ship except the dining room and one showroom? How is that fair??. Usually one side of the ship is off limits at least on your balcony. Not here. Many people were complaining their room smelled of stale smoke.

First the good and the was some. The ship was pretty clean. Most of the crew was pretty nice. (not so much the Front desk ) The Superior Verandah Suite was a nice and had a very large verandah. (we did not get to use that much due to the fact that the smokers were out on all balconies pretty much 18-20 hrs a day) In hindsight we have booked an inside cabin and saved a lot of money.

Fitness center was big and had lots of variety of classes. Hillary was the best! Our cabin steward was better than most (Karmen) AND since my husband was so sick from the smoke everywhere (even coming in side our cabin) that his food allergies kicked in and Jeffry (head waiter in Vista) took VERY GOOD CARE of him in making sure he had something he could eat each night. Usually we can avoid the areas or the side of a ship that allows smoking and he can eat whatever he wants.

As far as the food goes it was just ok. I can eat anything and I had a hard time finding much even I liked every night. They seem to have too many fish, pork and duck dishes EVERY night. Quite often all mixed up with lots of other items. It was almost impossible to have a sauce on the side of left off a dish. I had very few soups etc and on most ships I hard time not eating too much .

There should always be at least one chicken dish each night and they rarely did. Even when I requested a grilled, sauted chicken breast one night I found it hard to beleive there was not one in the kitchen anywhere to be had.

This ship has a terrible layout. Most all the bars, photo area and special restaurant is too close and congested. It was so crowded every evening. Since all the lounges allows smoking (it is supposed to be split in half, even if that worked they did not enforce it) and there are no doors or windows so smoke fills the halls and it was almost impossible to walk anywhere even to shop. THIS SHIP DOES NOT HAVE A REAL THEATRE, the lounge only has a curtain and it is REAL noisy.

Not only could we not use our huge verandah but the cigar smoke even came in our room thru our door?? Needless to say we were pretty much trapped in our cabin, not on our verandah.

Grand Turk has a wonderful set up so that you can stay right there on the beach which is why we went on this one. We go to Provo almost every year and TC has the best beaches.

The private island is nice, they have added to it over the years. They just have to stop this chair saving crap on and off of the ship. They do not even try to enforce it. MANY people could not find a chair on the island and over half of the chairs had a towel on it but nobody ever ever came back. On ship forget it. The same few hundred people put stuff out at the pool early. After 30-60 min I think they should remove it.

It is nice to eat smoke free but how much are you in the dining room? At the very least have one side of the ships cabins smoke free and maybe one bar so we could dance and drink too!!

My husbands nose bled off and on all week and he barely slept due to smoke in the room. They never offered to move us or ask the cigar smoker to cut back just a little. They simply did not care and I find this inexcusable.

Pros: Breakfast and Italian Bar on Lido, Ports, Fitness Center

Recommends Westerdam? No.