Voyager of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

First Timer, Now Cruise Believer

Sail Date: February 11, 2012

The Voyager is a 12 year old ship and is still in great shape. To be sure, there are some signs of weathering (outside woodwork in particular), but overall it is in great shape.

I was concerned that with a ship this size, the common areas would be overcrowded. As it turns out, there was rarely any waiting for any of the ships amenities. We never had to wait more than 2 minutes for an elevator when we wanted to use one, even during boarding, port calls, and disembarkation. All of this was with the ship "sold out".

The only major disappointment was the arcade; just about everything in there was either broken or not working as designed.

Pros: Relaxing, romantic days at sea; no worries.

Cons: Not enough time in ports of call, NOLA cruise port is severly congested.

Recommends Voyager of the Seas? Yes!

The ship is in good shape; there were a few signs of wear (particularly the exterior woodwork). A few of the public Men's rooms smelled distasteful; they need to clean these with bleach more often. Other than that, the ship's public areas were about what I'd expect out of a 4 star hotel.
We ate almost exclusively at the Windjammer (buffet). The formal dining room was nice, but the fare there was a bit on the "fancy" side for our tastes. I also don't like to make a 2 hour production out of a meal, so we only ate there twice.
The music choices (live bands) were just so-so; as an amature musician, I was actually very disappointed in the talent available on a ship this large. The "Broadway style" shows were just plain awful; I've seen better at community theater.

The sports deck was loved by my family members, particularly the climbing wall. High winds and low temperatures kept a lot of these amenities from being open for significant portions of the cruise.
I was quite pleasantly surprised at the stateroom. We had an exterior balcony on the 8th floor and it was not cramped at all. In fact, I've stayed at a room in the Grand Hyatt in NYC that was approximately the same size.

The bathroom was also bigger than I expected. I had been expecting something like a RV sized bathroom (where there is barely room to turn around), this was more like a very small bathroom in an older hotel (again, the Grand Hyatt in NYC comes to mind). The shower has solid sliding doors and was not much smaller in diameter than our Master Bath shower at home (to be sure it is less square footage as it is about 4' diameter round and our home shower is a 4x4 square).

The balcony was larger than I expected, with plenty of room for two people to sit and read.

There was plenty of closet space, drawer space and bathroom storage space for a week-long vacation for two. Suitcases stored easily under the bed.
Amazing attentiveness by all staff. Our stateroom attendant, Jerry, took care of our every request and followed up to make sure that it was to our satisfaction. The waitstaff in the Windjammer were very attentive (I made sure to tip $1/person/meal, it led to better service than we got in the Main Dining Room from the 2nd day on).
I actually had to force my kids to do "family time" as they were very content to join in on all of the on-board activities. I was pleasantly surprised by this, as both of my children are a little on the shy side. This led to lots of "us" time for me and my wife; a definite plus!