Voyager of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

A disaster from the very start

Sail Date: December 01, 2009

To start, because the ship was late starting boarding we had been standing in the parking lot for several hours. Once we got our turn to enter the building they indicated that those of us with Platinum and above status had a special line to take us through security. It turns out that the special line was slower than the regular line and we got to endure the jeers and scoffs of the other passengers as they passed us on their way through.
There has been, typically, some sort of welcome for the Crown and Anchor members, a glass of champagne or something but this time, nothing. I went up the gangway and boarded the ship and there was no one to greet me and help point me the right way, no one. As luck would have it I have sailed that vessel a couple of times before so was able to find my way but people after me were wandering lost trying to figure out what way was forward etc. I helped where I could but that should not have been necessary.
This was around 4:30pm and by then it was obvious we were not leaving that day. I waited until 10pm for my bag to arrive and then went to the pursers desk where I was told to wait a little longer. At midnight I had not received it and went back to the desk where they asked me to look at several bags they had that they could not identify, mine was not there. As the medications I take that allow me to sleep were in the bag, I was up all night. Every few hours I would check with the desk only to be told that they probably delivered it to the wrong stateroom and you can walk around and see if its outside someones cabin or we will look in the morning. At 7 am I received a call that my bag was held up in security and I needed to report there. I did so and was asked if I had a knife in my bag. I said no and agreed to allow them to search the bag which of course, showed no such knife. It had been there over 16 hours and no one troubled themselves to find me.
On Monday we watched the weather improve for a 2 to 3 hour period in the mid day and watched the Celebrity Conquest depart right in front of us. Later we were told that decision had been made to stay there?
Now of course, all this time there was no casino, no shops, no bingo, no parties on deck, no meet the captain reception the former because of state and federal laws no doubt but the latter? Was the Captain afraid to meet his passengers in this circumstance? The reason we were told he cancelled was that with the fog he wanted to stay on the bridge. As we had already been told that the port was closed until at least 8am the next day this was disingenuous at best, an outright lie at worst.
In addition, only a limited number of Bars were opened with a very limited selection of beers and spirits. When I got my bill for $14 for a single house Vodka and Red Bull I understood why we were being discouraged from going ashore during all of this. Indeed we were told the port was closed as of 8pm and so we could not go ashore.
That evening, when it was announced that the port was closed and that we would be staying at least another night, we were told that if we left the ship by 11pm we would get a voucher for a future trip but if we did not disembark by then there would be no such compensation offered. Faced with the possibility of being trapped on board with no amenities for an unforeseeable period with that now or never compensation offer I elected to leave the vessel.
Instruction we received was to go to the pursers desk to arrange for credit card payments and receiving a clearance slip to leave the ship. After lining up there I was told that I had to go instead to the conference room on 2 forward to do this. I hauled my bag there only to be told that it had been moved to the gangplank at 1 aft instead. I hauled my bag there only now to be asked for my departure clearance slip. I explained what had just occurred and was told by the female purser there that I needed to go to Customer service to get this. When I explained what was ha

Pros: Cabin

Cons: Pursers Staff

Recommends Voyager of the Seas? No.