Voyager of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Hard Times Hit the Cruise Line

Sail Date: March 15, 2009

First impressions: I have always looked forward to finding something interesting to read in the Royal Caribbean/Celebrity ship's library. I made my way straight there and was lucky enough to find a good John Le Carre novel that I hadn't read. However, it has been a long time since they restocked the library. The book shelves looked like those in the Goodwill Store used book section,
In the room, no more robes.
At the wine tasting one afternoon, Saltine crackers instead of table wafers.
No more midnight buffets. (I didn't miss them, but in the context of the other things, their absence made quite a pattern.)
No more daily news summaries available at customer relations on the flimsy excuse that no one ever read them. I could never find one after lunchtime on previous cruises because they had all been taken.
The heart healthy food bars were absent having been replaced by liquor bars.
And lastly, no more omnipresent dispensers of hand cleaner. I was told that the Center for Disease Control had told them that they weren't as effective as soap and water. So? They might have helped. Since I got sick for two days, I especially noted their absence. I wondered if they too were part of the cost cutting that went way too close to the bone.
The food was still quite good (on the five days that I wasn't eating chicken consomme.)

Pros: The food

Cons: The obvious cost cutting with an eye to the bottom line

Recommends Voyager of the Seas? Yes!

great waiter.
no more robes. wonderful room steward.
everyone was utterly cooperative.
George Town, Grand Cayman
the beach is beautiful. The island is now tremendously "over-developed."
Don't Miss: scuba if you can
snorkeling a must.